Shadow Defender Update Thread (Current Version 1.4.0.680)

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
@Andy Ful Well said my friend! Chromebook is much better for Chrome OS, after all it was specifically designed for it, but I do think they are a bit overpriced. I can get better hardware for much cheaper, maybe Google can improve with this and then they're own Chromebook will become much more popular.

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
@Yo Whats Up

Shadow Defender is most effective when you leave it at its default configuration settings and don't make many changes; if you need to make a change then you can allow a change from within the GUI or temporarily disable it.

It is intentionally designed to block all changes, its most convenient for people who don't need to make changes regularly. They'll install Shadow Defender after their other required software and then leave it on, and occasionally allow changes should they need to download a document and keep it locally stored, uninstall/install a new program, etc.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
But then it'll be like you've never used your pc... Appdata will stay the same, Programdata and Common Files too, those are things that update with your programs' usage, right? Same for registry. Chrome won't make any changes, history bookmarks cookies open tabs etc., although you could sync so I guess this one is solved. You'll also have to exit shadow mode every time you update something (or commit registry changes and follow every file that is updated, too much hassle), I check for daily updates so that's 5-10 more minutes, something to take into account since time is the most valuable resource, if we had infinity time we could do anything, and also every time you decide to download something and play with some software or w/e you'd either have to commit changes or restart into normal mode, even more time usage. If SD just had a toggle on/off button for shadow mode that didn't require a restart, and it could keep multiple snapshots it would make things so much easier, but with all this time usage I don't think it's worth it. Would be even better if it had default files/directories to commit, commit wasn't so slow (I tried to commit my entire 256 gb ssd once, so many read/write errors, so much pressing "Ignore", so slow, I gave up, and I have a beast pc). Also nice would be "Follow program to commit". It allows you to choose an .exe/.msi file and commit any changes the program does after it starts, either immediately or letting you choose when
Yes, Shadow Defender is not for everyone (like Linux, Chromebook or Chrome OS). It is ideal though for people who have pretty stable setup, and like to test/play with many kinds of software. There is one important limitation - the software has to work without restarting the system. This limitation can be the obstacle when installing some security programs (for example Comodo Firewall).
UPDATING - I go out of shadow mode once a week to do updates and let the system make conservation (1 hour a week).
PLAYING WITH SOFTWARE - I used to install/test so many programs and test so many system tweaks, that without ShadowDefender the Windows had to be reinstalled several times a year. Most programs can be installed in a minute, so some useful programs (that I need rarely) I install temporarily and use for some hours in shadow mode. If the program is useful and needed frequently, then I install it out of the shadow mode. If I want to play longer than usual, I do not turn off the computer, but sleep the system. You can use the Steam platform to install many games when in shadow mode (SteamLibrary folder on the second disk) - only games that require installing C++ or DirectX libraries need installation out of shadow mode.
COMMITTING FILES - I use two partitions: the system partition in shadow mode, and the second not in shadow mode. I keep the data on the second partition. I make the backup of the important data on the external USB disk. Committing big folders in Shadow Defender is a data suicide, it lasts toooo long and may cause some errors. I rarely commit files.
SSD - I use 4GB RAM for Shadow Defender cache (computer has 8GB total RAM). That amount of memory is sufficient for one day in shadow mode in Windows 10.
VIRTUAL_BOX - I use it frequently, so it is installed out of shadow mode, also the path of the image folder has to be changed, so this folder will be created on the disk that is not in shadow mode. Then you can use VirtualBox in shadow mode on boot.
The above works for me.:)

Last edited:

Thread author
If someone wants to have much of Chromebook security on Windows, then he/she can adopt Shadow Defender on boot. Like in Chrome OS on the Chromebook, after the computer restart, the untouched OS is loaded. :)
Chrome OS on the standard computer is not as secure as on the Chromebook because the OS is not on the secure partition (I am also not sure if Chrome OS has 'Verified Boot' feature).
Personally, I use Shadow Defender for a long time without any serious problems.(y)
Yet, for browsing, watching the media, document editing, the Chrome OS (or even better the Chromebook) is the best solution.

Chrome OS is best suited to those that do not have the inclination to become security soft geeks. That was one of the reasons it was created. Simple is better for those that cannot handle Windows' needless, over-the-top undocumented complexity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
Yes, Shadow Defender is not for everyone (like Linux, Chromebook or Chrome OS). It is ideal though for people who have pretty stable setup, and like to test/play with many kinds of software. There is one important limitation - the software has to work without restarting the system. This limitation can be the obstacle when installing some security programs (for example Comodo Firewall).
UPDATING - I go out of shadow mode once a week to do updates and let the system make conservation (1 hour a week).
PLAYING WITH SOFTWARE - I used to install/test so many programs and test so many system tweaks, that without ShadowDefender the Windows had to be reinstalled several times a year. Most programs can be installed in a minute, so some useful programs (that I need rarely) I install temporarily and use for some hours in shadow mode. If the program is useful and needed frequently, then I install it out of the shadow mode. If I want to play longer than usual, I do not turn off the computer, but sleep the system. You can use the Steam platform to install many games when in shadow mode (SteamLibrary folder on the second disk) - only games that require installing C++ or DirectX libraries need installation out of shadow mode.
COMMITTING FILES - I use two partitions: the system partition in shadow mode, and the second not in shadow mode. I keep the data on the second partition. I make the backup of the important data on the external USB disk. Committing big folders in Shadow Defender is a data suicide, it lasts toooo long and may cause some errors. I rarely commit files.
SSD - I use 4GB RAM for Shadow Defender cache (computer has 8GB total RAM). That amount of memory is sufficient for one day in shadow mode in Windows 10.
VIRTUAL_BOX - I use it frequently, so it is installed out of shadow mode, also the path of the image folder has to be changed, so this folder will be created on the disk that is not in shadow mode. Then you can use VirtualBox in shadow mode on boot.
The above works for me.:)

Windows, for better or worse (I think worse), is for the security soft geek. Personally, I would like to see most of what is shipped with Windows that is not needed disabled by default - and an 0pt-in for those that actually need it - which is very, very, very few people. People who are ignorant of what is needed will scream "Foul, if Microsoft put it there, then it is important and not to be disabled !"

Like Marie Antoinette supposedly once said... "Let those fooolz eat cake." What does Marie Antoinette have to do with Windows ? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But alas, it is a perfect example to use another person's words to mock the ignorant, so please... read on... We all know good ol' Marie never said such a thing, but those who have a deep understanding of language, get my mocking point.

Microsoft's own security divisions advise Enterprises to disable the dangerous parts of Windows as a matter of course - which are the parts that the uninitiated ignorants argue should not be disabled because Microsoft put those parts in Windows and therefore should not be disabled. What awesome logic. It will kill us all.

Anyway, this is an SD thread. If you're using Windows, then you better be fortifying Windows and Shadow Defender is one of the great choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Without Webroot installed ?

I never saw delays without WSA on the system. Put lousy WSA on the system and problems.
Yes, no Webroot as mentioned in my post #10 in my thread

BTW, I'm not referring to delays now. I'm talking of my 2nd Test

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
SD is always monitored by Webroot (you can check it in Control Process in tray icon), you have to set SD as "allowed".

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I never experienced it without WSA. Sorry.
One question.

If you terminate the 2 SD processes in Windows Task Manager is SD(and Shadow Mode) truly terminated so that I can work on the real system without rebooting?

Apparently, SD does not provides protection for these 2 processes from being terminated

Thanks

Thread author
One question.

If you terminate the 2 SD processes in Windows Task Manager is SD(and Shadow Mode) truly terminated so that I can work on the real system without rebooting?

Apparently, SD does not provides protection for these 2 processes from being terminated

Thanks

I don't recall. I have not used SD in a long time. If you can terminate SD, then make sure it is not just the GUI processes - like the daemon - and the whole session is still virtualized. Test by navigating to those processes in the file system and manually re-starting. If that is the case, then nothing to get bent out of shape about. The session is protected.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
One question.

Thanks
No...termination of SD process do nothing what means that you are still in SM - SD's service is still active and file diskpt0.sys created in protected disk (usualy system disk) in such mode still exists...it will be automaticaly deleted after reboot.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.