Advice Request Shadow defender vs RollBack Rx Professional?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
They can be used separately or togheter.
I''m not sure if Shadow Defender and Rollback RX Pro can be used on the same pc? (Maybe On Demand only)?

Can someone verify this, i'm interested to know.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I''m not sure if Shadow Defender and Rollback RX Pro can be used on the same pc? (Maybe On Demand only)?

Can someone verify this, i'm interested to know.

I've tried running both. I think someone asked this a while back.

The problem here is that both use the Master Boot Record, and only one program can occupy that space.

Reactions: Viking

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I personally would recommend SD all day any day for normal users. However, RX would be good for testers as others have said.

Big upside or bonus to SD is a one time payment!

~Brian

Reactions: Cortex

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I think it's more appropriate to compare Reboot Restore RX with Shadow Defender since they do more or less the same thing. RollBack RX gives you more flexibility with it's unlimited snapshots, while SD and Reboot Restore have only a baseline which they can revert changes to. With RollBack RX you can test programs which require a system restart, with SD and RRRx you cannot without committing them to the disk first.

You can't go wrong in my opinion whichever one you choose. Just make sure you know the key differences before buying one. Try them all out and see which one suits your needs.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Media923823

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 5, 2018
I think it's more appropriate to compare Reboot Restore RX with Shadow Defender since they do more or less the same thing. RollBack RX gives you more flexibility with it's unlimited snapshots, while SD and Reboot Restore have only a baseline which they can revert changes to. With RollBack RX you can test programs which require a system restart, with SD and RRRx you cannot without committing them to the disk first.

You can't go wrong in my opinion whichever one you choose. Just make sure you know the key differences before buying one. Try them all out and see which one suits your needs.

If I want to prevent an attck of ransomware?

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
If I want to prevent an attck of ransomware?
To prevent an attack of ransomware you need to take a snapshot or backup of the state of your computer before the ransomware attack happened. If you get infected while in Shadow mode for example just reboot the computer and your files will be back to normal. With Rollback RX you have to manually take snapshots on your own and know when you are infected to rollback to a previous point in time. It's not difficult you just need to know when to do it.

Shadow Defender is much simpler in it's approach than Rollback. To use it's protection you must always be in Shadow mode BEFORE you start browsing the internet or trying out unknown risky software or even just plugging in your friend's usb. Anything that goes wrong to your protected drives can be undone with a system restart. With Rollback RX you take restore points on your own that you know to be good and clean which you can then use later to go back in time in case anything goes wrong (malware, ransomware, computer crashes or won't boot, etc.)

When used properly any of these should serve the purpose of protecting your files. But a good firewall is needed to prevent any malware that could temporarily send out your information or keystrokes until you restart or rollback the computer. Comodo firewall is a good choice and can prevent ransomware attacks on it's own, so if you pair these two software you will be well protected. (y)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I find Rollback RX very usefull if/when you turn on/restart your pc/laptop and you get a BSOD, all you do is restore to a previous snapshot and everything is sweet again.

I'm not sure if/how Shadow Defender protects you from BSOD? Will a simple restart solve it ??
(assuming that your already in Shadow Mode).

Reactions: carl fish

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Typically, you will use Shadow Defender if you want to erase, at the end of every session, changes that malware might have made.
You will use RollBack if you want the ability to restore your previous system state after making experimental changes and installations. Alternatively, if you have two or more system states (snapshots) that you want to keep readily available.

If you run x64 virtual machines, you can forget about Shadow Defender.

Last edited:

SaidMichael

May 6, 2019
I do not recommend Rollback RX recently I tried the free version It increased my pc botting time to 7 min. completely crazy and not acceptable then my windows system restore stopped working. When I approached the company they said it is because it is a free version
Very bad practice at least they should have put some sort of warning in their website. Be careful with this software

• Wow
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I do not recommend Rollback RX recently I tried the free version It increased my pc botting time to 7 min. completely crazy and not acceptable then my windows system restore stopped working. When I approached the company they said it is because it is a free version
Very bad practice at least they should have put some sort of warning in their website. Be careful with this software

Did you try the Pro Edition? I've been using the freeware and the Pro Edition and I notice the Pro Edition is much faster.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.