App Review Shadow Defender vs Selected Malware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A perfect concept of virtualization, any program not just Shadow Defender should be continuously maintain the security proof. Of course Keyloggers and worms is already a different side of story where damages defeats any tools.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
A very informative video, thanks cruelsister, virtualization tool like Shadow defender is a must have(paid or otherwise), it certainly defeats some of the worst data destruction malwares. To protect against unwanted data transmission, a strong outbound firewall and data access restriction policy can work effectively.

Last edited:

Laoel

Level 1
Verified
Apr 3, 2016
Another good program of genre is Acronis Try&Decide. I don't saw many people talking about this software but is awesome like Shadow Defender. I don't know if you guy's know about this software so here is some screenshots running on my pc if anyone is interested:

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG

It's in portuguese-brazil but the first picture is asking if you want to activate the program and shows the used space on hd (green) /space used when you install something using Try&Decide (light blue with stripes) / and free space in your hd (light blue).

And the last picture shows something like: "Take a decision:" [ Apply Changes / Apply Changes doing restart of system /Discard changes doing restart of system ]

I decided to share because is a good program and I don't see many people talking about this software :p

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Excellent test as always.
I have one questions:
"Do you think that SD run on demand (not on boot) is also safe such as set to enter on Shadow Mode on boot?"

Tnx
Yes. As I always use Shadow Defender just on-demand, I tested Petya this way on a real machine and it works.
The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

The reasoning behind this assertion is Shadow Defender protects the shadowed volume and its MBR in its entirety and until the last moment upon reboot, so when the machine starts again loading Windows we have a complete new and fresh session.

Last edited:

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Doesn't anybody test softs against malwares for themselves ? :confused:

Are @Umbra, @illumination, @cruelsister, myself and perhaps a few others the only ones ?
From now on whenever I can, I'm going to run tests against X malware ON real machines only. Using a spare HDD and a spare USB stick which can be easily low level formatted at any moment.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Another good program of genre is Acronis Try&Decide.
I decided to share because is a good program and I don't see many people talking about this software

Very good idea but I can guess this is why it's not very popular...

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/65108

Acronis True Image 2015: Try and Decide Is Not Supported | Knowledge Base

Sorry for the offtopic. Great video as always cruelsister. :)

Guess a software like Faronics Deep Freeze would work very similar in this situation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.