Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What distribution do you use of Linux?
Thanks for sharing.(y)
I am using Ubuntu standard installation (not the long term service edition).
I am on the latest release, which is called 18.10, or Cosmic Cuttlefish.
@Umbra seems to have a preference for Kubuntu: "Kubuntu unites Ubuntu with KDE and the fabulous Plasma desktop"
I have not tried a lot of distros, so I can't give you an educated opinion about that. Ubuntu is mainstream, well-maintained, and relatively easy to use, that's all I know.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I am using Ubuntu standard installation (not the long term service edition).
I am on the latest release, which is called 18.10, or Cosmic Cuttlefish.
@Umbra seems to have a preference for Kubuntu: "Kubuntu unites Ubuntu with KDE and the fabulous Plasma desktop"
I have not tried a lot of distros, so I can't give you an educated opinion about that. Ubuntu is mainstream, well-maintained, and relatively easy to use, that's all I know.
Good choice. I haven't liked KDE much. I've always used Gnome2. but they left it. and the closest thing is Mate or Xfce. that's why I use Xubuntu which is Xfce.
Thank you I didn't see that they already said you used Ubuntu...( Every day I'm more blind.):LOL:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Try many using their live CDs/USBs, it is how I found out Kubuntu was the right one for me.
I liked the idea of Kubuntu, and I tried installing KDE/Plasma desktop on my Ubuntu, and then I pinned Chrome to the bottom panel. But when I opened Chrome, I got two icons -- the one I pinned, and the active one.
What went wrong?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I liked the idea of Kubuntu, and I tried installing KDE/Plasma desktop on my Ubuntu, and then I pinned Chrome to the bottom panel. But when I opened Chrome, I got two icons -- the one I pinned, and the active one.
What went wrong?
To answer my own question, I found the post that is pasted below (but didn't try it yet). With every new thing you try, you become a noob again, until you learn the tricks.

Situation: i have some application icons on the taskbar. For example Krusader, Kontact, etc. When I start (click on the icon) the program, I get an additional icon for Krusader.
Question: Is it possible to avoid that activity? I do not wish to have an additional icon for the running application.​

Apparently you added the icons to the panel.
Add them to the task manager instead, by right-clicking on the entry of a running application and choosing "Create a launcher" from the context menu.
These "launchers" should disappear when click on them and the application is started.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
When installing Linux as replacement for old XP/Vista/Win7 PC's I started installing the Mate and Xfce desktops because the impression I got from Linux-community is that they are the easiest to adopt for people moving to linux. Personally I think that Plasma and Budgie are the best looking desktops (but that is based on quick liveCD impression tour :) )

When installing Linux for other people, rolling distro's require less maintenance (install once, updates forever), therefore when the hardware can bear it my first choice (for replacing Windows) is Solus with Mate desktop. Another advantage is that Solus is stateless, so when a user messes up, I can always revert to "factory" defaults (removing user config files) and everything works again. Solus seems to be more user centric developed than other distro's I tried

Discussing Linux distro's is like discussing security, everyone seems to have its own preferences. Solus has some additional security advantages that it is not another Ubuntu distro but directely based on Linux with some extra (compilation) hardening.

@shmu26 nice setup, one question and one tip

Question: Wondering what the startup delay is for starting your Windows 10 VM.

Tip:I see you have disabled WD, but you can also add Windows and Program Files folders to exclusions to minimize WD-overhead (only on access checks in user folders since you apply a SRP deny execute as well).

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When installing Linux as replacement for old XP/Vista/Win7 PC's I started installing the Mate and Xfce desktops because the impression I got from Linux-community is that they are the easiest to adopt for people moving to linux. Personally I think that Plasma and Budgie are the best looking desktops (but that is based on quick liveCD impression tour :) )

When installing Linux for other people, rolling distro's require less maintenance (install once, updates forever), therefore when the hardware can bear it my first choice for replacing Windows is Solus with Mate desktop. Discussing Linux distro's is like discussing security, everyone seems to have its own preferences. Solus has some additional security advantages that it is not another Ubuntu distro but directely based on Linux with some extra (compilation) hardening.

@shmu26 nice setup, one question and one tip

Question: Wondering what the startup delay is for starting your Windows 10 VM.

Tip:I see you have disabled WD, but you can also add Windows and Program Files folders to exclusions to minimize WD-overhead (only on access checks in user folders since you apply a SRP deny execute as well).
From the moment I launch VMWare until I hit desktop in the win10 VM, it takes 35 seconds. I have an SSD. But I also have some autostart programs in the VM.

Thanks for tip, I think I will try it.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I try Ubuntu and Mint from time to time and go always back to Manjaro. imo best distro out there even for begginers

Reactions: shmu26

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
Rolling release Linux distros are more worth in general. Currently my side laptop with Gemini Lake is using Antergos.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I tried out Cinnamon desktop, on Ubuntu 18.10 you don't even need to install anything, you can choose at log in between 4 different desktops. You know what, I like the Gnome desktop that Ubuntu ships with.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.