Shocked...How RollBack, Macrium, and AX64TM Version 1 Work Together Nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
I just found out that these 3 work so nicely together. Here's how.

Let's say you have Win10 and all your fav software installed.

You also install AX64TM V1, Macrium, and RollBackRX.

Now you make 2 snapshots with RBRX and then you make a Image BU with AX64, and also with Macrium.

Then you decide to make a 3rd snapshot with RBRX. Then you decide to test all your backups.

So you restore the PC to an earlier BU using AX64TM, it reboots and you expect to lose all your RBRX snapshots...Or at best you will only have 2 snapshots...

NOPE, when it reboots you find not only is RBRX still installed on your PC, but all 3 of your snapshots are intact.

This was news to me, very excited to find it to be the case...

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
So you restore the PC to an earlier BU using AX64TM, it reboots and you expect to lose all your RBRX snapshots...Or at best you will only have 2 snapshots...
NOPE, when it reboots you find not only is RBRX still installed on your PC, but all 3 of your snapshots are intact.

and after this step, what if you restore to an older snapshot with RX ?

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author

Not sure I understand the question...But I'll try to answer. I restore to an earlier snapshot and everything works fine. My Bu's made with AX64TMV1 and Macrium go to 4 other drives 2 on board (D: and E:) and 2 Externals so the BUs are always safe, they are not saved to C:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Now you make 2 snapshots with RBRX and then you make a Image BU with AX64, and also with Macrium.

Then you decide to make a 3rd snapshot with RBRX. Then you decide to test all your backups.

just curious: why AX64TM V1? Is it because that version works with windows 10 better than v2 does?
If I remember right, I once tried v2 on windows 10 x64, with no success.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I am a little bit of a noon when it comes to backing up files since anything on my JD is essentially worthless.. Anyway, why would you need 4 different programs for backupping. Shouldn't you just use on and leave it at that?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
V1 is very good (developed by Isso) , V2 (after the sell) is a mess. i stopped using AX64 when v2 was released.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am a little bit of a noon when it comes to backing up files since anything on my JD is essentially worthless.. Anyway, why would you need 4 different programs for backupping. Shouldn't you just use on and leave it at that?
macrium reflect is your basic, rock-solid reliable system backup, in case you messed up your system and you want to recover to a stable state.

rollback is more volatile for various reasons, but can be extremely useful for switching back and forth, quickly and easily, between your favorite snapshots.

Rod, by adding time machine into the mix, is offering us a magic way to keep the rollback snapshots from getting lost. (Macrium reflect doesn't usually preserve them.)

@Rod correct me if I didn't get it right...

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Rod, by adding time machine into the mix, is offering us a magic way to keep the rollback snapshots from getting lost. (Macrium reflect doesn't usually preserve them.)

Macrium backup the snapshots of RX when used with sector-by-sector option.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Macrium backup the snapshots of RX when used with sector-by-sector option.
does time machine interfere with TRIM?
Let's say I uninstall Rollback, run TRIM, and then restore from time machine, like Rod is saying.
Is that a plan?

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012

i mean rollbacking to an old snapshots (before and after AX was installed)

So did you try it?

Been rather curious in various combos I've never gone so far - to use 2 time machines. :eek:

I just see no reason for that.

You'd better use Macrium and Rx. Doing Macrium images before installation of Rx.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
AX64 v1 makes my win10 x64 system unbootable, just like v2 did.

Reactions: Solarlynx

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
AX64 v1 makes my win10 x64 system unbootable, just like v2 did.

I never tried it. I used 2 last releases of Comodo TM (.178 and .187) almost without crashes. CTM is unusable on new HD. Now I use Eaz-Fix (obsolete clone of Rx) on 3 PC without crashes. Some AV found changes done by a Time Machine in MBR as malicious. Then you should exclude it from scanning.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Guys I have now used each one (all 3) and there is no adverse effect on any of them by the other nor any adverse effects to my PC.

AX64 is not monitoring my PC nor is Macrium they are turned off until I start them, they do not run in the background. RollBKrx does but that is the only one I left on... The others are on demand tools.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
macrium reflect is your basic, rock-solid reliable system backup, in case you messed up your system and you want to recover to a stable state.

rollback is more volatile for various reasons, but can be extremely useful for switching back and forth, quickly and easily, between your favorite snapshots.

@Rod correct me if I didn't get it right...

I have always liked AX64TM Version 1...Version 2 would work, then not...Something seemed to happen along the way with a very promising app.

I use AX64 because it works for me. But Macrium is my fail safe. Somehow AX64 is able to preserve the RollBkRX snapshots.

I have Rollback but never installed it until recently because of all the horror stories on this and another forum, about trim ETC...But a few days ago I decided to give it a shot, installed it and PC is running as good as ever...

I don't need RollBkrx, but I choose to keep it because "It is blazing fast"...

All my images made by AX64 and Macrium are saved to other drives not C: BUT Rollback needs to use C: and I let it since I have a 500gig SSD.

Hope this helps.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Guys I have now used each one (all 3) and there is no adverse effect on any of them by the other nor any adverse effects to my PC.

AX64 is not monitoring my PC nor is Macrium they are turned off until I start them, they do not run in the background. RollBKrx does but that is the only one I left on... The others are on demand tools.

Hmmmm on demand AX64? For imaging then only? Do you make snapshots with AX64?

I would strongly recommend you to get rid of one TM: AX64 or Rx.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Here is the timeline...Clean install of Win 7 or Win 10. I have done both.

Then add all my favorite software, but no security software.

Then install AX64 and Macrium do not allow either to run in the background. Make images with with both to my D: and my E: (THIS IS MY BASE BU)

Now install RollbackRX, then install security software. NOW if I want to try Kaspersky or AVG, or whatever, I am a restart (reboot) away from my BASE BU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.