Advice Request Should I add my Microsoft account to Edge Chromium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Guys I would like to know if is safe/secure to add my Microsoft Account to Edge Chromium(Windows version) so I can sync my Edge favorites, passwords and settings to use on other device?
Also if someone is using Microsoft Edge on android I would like to know if I enable the sync option would I be able to see the favorites(including folders) I have on the Edge desktop version in the Edge android version?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I did it, works but the Android version is not as good as other Chromium browsers
Even the newest Android version is not very good.

@razorfancy you can use Brave, a much better alternative, if you're willing to wait for them to roll out their new version of Sync. Coming soon to a theater near you! Available on all platforms too.

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Guys I would like to know if is safe/secure to add my Microsoft Account to Edge Chromium(Windows version) so I can sync my Edge favorites, passwords and settings to use on other device?
Also if someone is using Microsoft Edge on android I would like to know if I enable the sync option would I be able to see the favorites(including folders) I have on the Edge desktop version in the Edge android version?
You have all your favorites with folders as in your PC, plus you can save other favorites for the mobile version only

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Even the new version is not very good.

@razorfancy you can use Brave, a much better alternative, if you're willing to wait for them to roll out their new version of Sync. Coming soon to a theater near you! Available on all platforms too.
I personally love the Edge Chromium windows version but I dont like the android version because the homepage speed dials(*1) dont work like the Opera Browser android version(Is my browser on phone).

*1 - Speed dials only are important to me on android, I dont care about them on the windows version because I have easy access to Favorites Bar.

But the main thing I want to know is if it is safe/secure to use the account sync option to save favorites, passwords and settings.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Perfectly safe. Your data is encrypted in transit when transferring between devices and at rest on Microsoft's servers. Sensitive information (addresses, passwords) is encrypted locally on your device before being synced.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Even the new version is not very good.

Brave is way better, the only thing preventing me from using it as my default browser is the lack of sync but that will be fixed soon.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I don't see why it's not for favorites & settings. IDK about passwords.
Stored passwords are easily exploitable, it is better to use a password manager rather than the browser. Then again, it is not so convenient.

I would compare storing passwords within the browser as locking your door and then hiding the key under the doormat. :sneaky:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's no different to using a Google Account with Chrome, or Firefox Account with Firefox.

Only difference is the compatibility syncing between old and new Edge, and IIRC new Microsoft Edge currently does not support sync for Work accounts.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

"Should I add my Microsoft account to Edge Chromium?"
-> If you need sync your data: yes

"if is safe/secure to add my Microsoft Account to Edge Chromium(Windows version) so I can sync my Edge favorites, passwords and settings to use on other device?"
safe & secure: Yes
It's more a question about privacy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.