Advice Request Should I bite the bullet? Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Cool :)

For those that find that upgrading to Windows 10 proves to be heavy on their system,or those that wish to reduce telemetry through their firewall,I did/do the following:

I used a combination of CCleaner and the SUPERDelete tool of SuperAntiSpyware to first remove unneeded MS components...
Then O&O Shut Up 10 to block much of the remaining telemetry...
Then in ZoneAlarm Free Firewall:
a) Blocked specific MS IPs in the "View Zones" section.
b) Killed various MS services through "Application Control" such as:
Data Sharing service Maintenance Driver
Disk Defragmenter Module (As I use Auslogics Defrag as Default)
Disk Space Clean up Manager
Microsoft Feedback SIUF Deployment Manager Client
Microsoft Help and Support
Microsoft Sync Center
Search and Cortana Application
Windows Remote Assistance COM Server
............I have experienced No Negative effects from doing the above (over 3 Months ago)

I also temporarily deny OS Updates for 72 Hours while I check forums for "Borks".This involves the temporary blocking of:
Windows System Assessment Tool
Windows Installer
Windows Update
Windows Modules Installer
Windows Modules Installer Worker
......Again,No problems since doing so 3 months ago

It is also worth mentioning that "Google Analytics sender" is a semi-recent addition,and can also be killed through the firewall.

I will need to reassess my blocking once I have updated to the Anniversary edition,so if nobody else has posted their updated blocking strategies then I will post mine once I have updated.
Humor ON
They should have made a "free" version of Windows 10 with all their stuff (telemetry, spying, etc)
And a "less free" version with no unwanted stuff :p

In this case, is less free : free, more expensive , less more expensive or more less expensive ? :rolleyes:

Humor OFF

Any way, thanks for your post :)

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I downloaded a ISO with the build that is supposed to become Anniversary Update, and I tried to run a in-place update from win10 stable version to Anniversary Update.
It hangs at 99% and won't finish. A forced reboot doesn't help.
I tried running it again, but this time a full reinstall, without keeping apps and files. It hangs at 75% and won't finish.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I downloaded a ISO with Anniversary Update, and tried to run a in-place update from win10 stable version to Anniversary Update.
It hangs at 99% and won't finish. A forced reboot doesn't help.
I tried running it again, but this time a full reinstall, without keeping apps and files. It hangs at 75% and won't finish.
Where your ISO come from ?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I had decided NOT to upgrade to W10. I figure my specs are older with a mid low range CPU. both single cored here on laptop and PC. I figure, why not wait a little while and get a new more powerful machine with W10 on it.

These can run W7 'til 2020 ... and then its Linux time maybe. Both PC and Laptop work flawless on W7... so I didn't want to fit something thats already working fine for me.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I had decided NOT to upgrade to W10. I figure my specs are older with a mid low range CPU. both single cored here on laptop and PC. I figure, why not wait a little while and get a new more powerful machine with W10 on it.

These can run W7 'til 2020 ... and then its Linux time maybe. Both PC and Laptop work flawless on W7... so I didn't want to fit something thats already working fine for me.
It's that similar to 8.1, might as well have called it 8.2!!:confused::confused:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Guys,heads up: You can still use the Media Creation Tool.....and it's still works!:eek:o_O

Windows 10 after July 29th!.jpg

This PC was updated yesterday.No problems so far and it's on the process of installing the Anniversary Update soon.

Again,your chance is now.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
.. i wanted to upgrade all my machines to W10 as soon as possible (currently running W7 and W8.1). But then i
heard about the build in "spyware" and several bugs/incopatibility issues... So i decided to stay for a while with
W7 and W8.1. Both are still running without a single issue on my machines: W10 seems to have too many problems...
At this time for me it's more important to have a stable system. But i'm sure that i will upgrade to W10 as soon as possible:
W10 seems to be much better but the current bugs/issues must dissapear first. Therefore i'll wait and upgrade next year
or mybe even later.....

Last edited:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
^The thing is:Are you willing to shell out $119-199 for each PC? @LASER_oneXM

If you run the Media Creation Tool right now,not only you upgrade to Win10 for free but you can revert right back to your initial setup in case you run into any problem.

Doing that protects the longevity of your equipment(As in you can upgrade to Win10 in the future at 0 cost).That is my main concern right now with my clients and family....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.