Advice Request Should I update my BIOS to prevent Spectre?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Hello, do you think it's worth to update my BIOS just to prevent Spectre? PC is running really well with no issues now
I looked into Acer site and there is a new bios for my PC from 2019 (really new), but I am afraid of some things:
1) People usually update the BIOS if they encounter problems, however problems may come out also after the upgrade
2) All Acer provides is a folder with an exe file. I read that directly launching the exe is not the safest way to upgrade, because running software may interfere with the upgrade
3) How likely can I encounter problems? I don't know if it will be easy to revert changes in case of damage, or one has to change motherboard
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hello, do you think it's worth to update my BIOS just to prevent Spectre? PC is running really well with no issues now
I looked into Acer site and there is a new bios for my PC from 2019 (really new), but I am afraid of some things:
1) People usually update the BIOS if they encounter problems, however problems may come out also after the upgrade
2) All Acer provides is a folder with an exe file. I read that directly launching the exe is not the safest way to upgrade, because running software may interfere with the upgrade
3) How likely can I encounter problems? I don't know if it will be easy to revert changes in case of damage, or one has to change motherboard
Thanks in advance
Firstly, check if Acer does support USB BIOS recovery in case BIOS update fails mid-way or new update causes specific issue.
Go into BIOS and enable BIOS flashback to allow downgrades.
If you want just microcode updates any OS does that for you automatically. Do keep in mind, OS protection won't during PC booting and only works once OS is loaded.
I suppose you have necessary protections for Spectre already. Just post a screenie of HWINFO summary or HWinFO CPU section which shows microcode or uCode.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I read that directly launching the exe is not the safest way to upgrade, because running software may interfere with the upgrade
Afaik bios updates can/should be done via the bios update function inside your bios or from an booted usbstick/cd (with the biosflash software the devs provides). Better don't update the bios while inside of windows. (In general so not specific for your mainboard).

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Afaik bios updates can/should be done via the bios update function inside your bios or from an booted usbstick/cd (with the biosflash software the devs provides). Better don't update the bios while inside of windows. (In general so not specific for your mainboard).
I see no update option directly into the bios.
From youtube videos, I see that the executable provided by acer does something, then reboots the PC and the upgrade happens in the bios.
I also found this article, so I’m not sure if I can immediately install the latest version: another risk Which BIOS update should I use?

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I see no update option directly into the bios.
From you tube videos, I see that the executable provided by acer does something, then reboots the PC and the upgrade happens in the bios.
I also found this article, so I’m not sure if I can immediately install the latest version: another risk Which BIOS update should I use?
i had the same issue with HP pro-book
but i used the EXE provided by the manufacturer with all protection software are disabled and disabled all unnecessary background process and it went well
try to download Accer client assistant to update it ( there must be one as in my case there is HP Support assistant ) as below screen shoot:
1565428824950.png

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@TheMalwareMaster Go to following Acer link and enter the serial number for your laptop. It will take you the driver/BIOS download pager for your specific laptop. Download and install the BIOS update. If there are multiple BIOS versions offered, download the most recent one.

There is absolutely no need to install any other software, as you will be taken to the download page for your specific laptop. The BIOS update software will run in Windows. But, don't worry, it will reboot your computer to update the BIOS. The updating does not take place when Windows is running.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
i had the same issue with HP pro-book
but i used the EXE provided by the manufacturer with all protection software are disabled and disabled all unnecessary background process and it went well
try to download Accer client assistant to update it ( there must be one as in my case there is HP Support assistant ) as below screen shoot:
View attachment 219434
Unfortunately, acer doesn’t provide any software that would tell me if I can upgrade directly to the latest version

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
@TheMalwareMaster Go to following Acer link and enter the serial number for your laptop. It will take you the driver/BIOS download pager for your specific laptop. Download and install the BIOS update. If there are multiple BIOS versions offered, download the most recent one.

There is absolutely no need to install any other software, as you will be taken to the download page for your specific laptop. The BIOS update software will run in Windows. But, don't worry, it will reboot your computer to update the BIOS. The updating does not take place when Windows is running.
Yes, I already found my laptop in that page, but I’m afraid in case the update fails for some reason and there will be troubles. So it’s better to leave it as it is

Reactions: oldschool

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yes, I already found my laptop in that page, but I’m afraid in case the update fails for some reason and there will be troubles. So it’s better to leave it as it is
I've never had any issues with BIOS updates on laptops. But, there always is a very small chance of something going wrong.

I have not updated the BIOS on any of my laptops that actually have a BIOS update with Spectre fixes, as there is a small loss in performance.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
as there is a small loss in performance.
Yeah, I almost forgot that.
Probability of error + loss in performance after upgrade: that’s not worth upgrading for me.
In the end, what’s the chance that someone would attack me specifically with spectre, and not exploiting other vulnerabilities?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if you can, just do it. Make sure you have external source of power before proceeding in case the power outage

however, honestly, I don't really like spectre software patch from microsoft windows update because it makes my PC run a tiny bit slower

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
if you can, just do it. Make sure you have external source of power before proceeding in case the power outage

however, honestly, I don't really like spectre software patch from microsoft windows update because it makes my PC run a tiny bit slower
Windows is fully patched, however I won’t update the bios for the reasons I specified before

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It shows uCU = C6

Is it that one? By the way, yesterday I ran InSpectre again, and it showed that I was protected in all cases, however my bios is from 2017
Hmmm, same as mine. I didn't get newer CC uCode based BIOS update instead I used something else to patch the uCode during OS bootup. Intel/AMD uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown.
Link to download latest uCodes for AMD and Intel
MEGA

SHA2:bd4e8e0280974be4cc914217c122e1ce48464c9c765812637f631678a7fe3e19
SHA1:11b71f406a474195d196a09ed0a469bf3e977440

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.