Should i Upgrade from Ubuntu 16 to Windows 10?

What should i switch to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I have been using ubuntu for a month or so, i really like it but the problem is its very buggy, VERY buggy.
I have a full copy of windows 10 but im afraid that i will not find the same software that i use(developement, photos...)
What do you guys think? let me know :)

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
@Spawn thank you for your reply, very helpful.
I will visit the website you gave me!
I have a full copy of windows 10 laying around, i bought it for virtual machine and i never used it xD.
Anyway thank you for your reply, appreciated!

D

Deleted member 178

One month is not enough to evaluate an OS. Most Linux softs are "inspired" from Windows, i had way more hard time finding a decent replacement of a Windows softs in Linux than the opposite.

Linux = security
Windows = versatility

My advices:

1- install Win10 + install Linux on a VM
2- dual-boot Linux and Win10

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I've been a Windows guy since 3.1 so I have to say "upgrade" to Windows 10 :D

I can't imagine there are many dev tools or photo apps you can't run but unless you specify what you're using then it's difficult to know.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
One month is not enough to evaluate an OS.
1- install Windows 10 + install Linux on a VM
2- dual-boot Linux and Windows 10
I agree with @Umbra here.
Personally I favor the dual boot.For a long time I had Windows & Linux dual booted.
However before you do that I am in agreement also with running Linux in a VM.
It also wouldn't hurt to try different flavors of Linux as you might like one better the the other thus the advantage of running it in a VM.
Once you find what your happy with you could dual boot it with Windows 10.
However IMO I would stick with Windows 10 as your main OS.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Ubuntu 16 versions are not stellar. 16.10 is even more stable than the LTS 16.04, so to speak, however the life span of 16.10 aint that long.

Suggestion: if you want to run Linux, run 14.04 (Its LTS and good still), or any variant built upon 14.04

If you want to dual boot with Windows 10, first install windows 10 and then install Linux. Depending on your hardware, you might or might not be able to have any linux flavor or will be hard to dual boot (blame UEFI etc).

Nothing stops you from using Ubuntu14.04, Linux Lite (the version built on 14.04 which is just as good), etc (basically stay away from any 16 variants).

Want to be bold and can work with stable software instead? go Debian Stable or a variant such as Bunsenlabs or Crunchbang++

Will not offer RPM/ARCH based distros but if you need advice, pm me.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
@Soulweave

I second that .

I have "road-tested " countless distros and I have never seen 14.04 bettered .
It was a high peak in Linux evolution and is well-proven ; for me , it's age is a plus point , not a minus.

My main system is still based on 14.04 and that won't be changing any time soon .

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have been using ubuntu for a month or so, i really like it but the problem is its very buggy, VERY buggy.
I have a full copy of windows 10 but im afraid that i will not find the same software that i use(developement, photos...)
What do you guys think? let me know :)
@HeroCloudAntivirus
What build ? Are you on Mint, or another version ?
If your on another build try Mint, it is stable and very easy for newer Ununtu and Linux users.
You have to try out, and investigate the different builds because they are "not " all created equally.
I have found Mint and Elementary OS to be 2 very nice builds, as you learn more and get comfortable
there are some more complex builds you can experiment with.
At present you are on one of the safest and most secure platforms offered today, remember this before
jumping ship to Microsoft. ;)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@HeroCloudAntivirus
If your on another build try Mint, it is stable and very easy for newer Ununtu and Linux users.
You have to try out, and investigate the different builds because they are "not " all created equally.
I have found Mint and Elementary OS to be 2 very nice builds, as you learn more and get comfortable
At present you are on one of the safest and most secure platforms offered today, remember this before
Mint and Elementary built on 16.04 still share same issue as stock ubuntu because of the base problems.

Elementary specially is just as buggy as stock ubuntu 16.04

In any case, recommended ubuntu based distros are:
Linux Download | Download Linux Lite Free Linux Operating System (linux lite pre 3.0 which is built upon 14.04) - research to see which version is it
Ubuntu 14.04
LXLE 14.04 versions (you will need to google to find the image files since website only lists to download straight the 16.04 versions)
Linux Mint 17 (is built on 14.04) variations
Bodhi linux (again got to search for 14.04 versions)

On Debian base: Debian from website (stable branch); Bunsenlabs or Crunchbang++ (either one is based on Tint2 Panel + OpenBox window manager, successors to Crunchbang project); AntiX
Testing branch: Parsix GNU/Linux - Desktop Linux Operating System ; SolydXK ; Linux Mint Debian Edition

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
@HeroCloudAntivirus

I use ubuntu 16.10

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
One month is not enough to evaluate an OS. Most Linux softs are "inspired" from Windows, i had way more hard time finding a decent replacement of a Windows softs in Linux than the opposite.

Linux = security
Windows = versatility

My advices:

1- install Windows 10 + install Linux on a VM
2- dual-boot Linux and Windows 10

the problem is i did that once but linux doesn't recognize windows 10 it only recognizes windows 8..

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
@HeroCloudAntivirus
ill try mint in my virtual machine if i like it ill install it :) thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.