Battle Should I upgrade my Display + Audio Drivers?

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I use a tool to find all available updates for principal drivers.
There are very often (too often !?) "RealTek High Def Audio" drivers updates.
For Nvidia drivers, I use "Nvidia GeForce Experience" tool (a lot of useful tools inside for gamers)

Last edited:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
If it works perfectly ATM,best to leave like that.

If you really need to do it(a rendering software needs that version),create a restore point and proceed.If it borks your setup,you know what to do....:cool:

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
If it works perfectly ATM,best to leave like that.

If you really need to do it(a rendering software needs that version),create a restore point and proceed.If it borks your setup,you know what to do....:cool:

okay perfect thanks.

if i do update a driver, I should do graphic only... just this one seems interesting to me.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
I'm just updating a driver/driver software if there's a problem with my device!
Only my Nvidia-driver gets updated regularly.

D

Deleted member 178

The drivers in Win Update are not the latest ones but the ones designed to be the most compatible with your OS/hardware brand. For example the Nvidia one isn't the latest; when i clean install my Win10 , i let the WU drivers first for maximum compatibility ;then update them with the latest version if any.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
The drivers in Win Update are not the latest ones but the ones designed to be the most compatible with your OS/hardware brand. For example the Nvidia one isn't the latest; when i clean install my Win10 , i let the WU drivers first for maximum compatibility ;then update them with the latest version if any.
Yeah of course. Driver Updating by Windows Update is enabled on my system. So WU can update all driver software which is installed and managed by Windows Update. But Nvidia I installed manually by downloading the setup from manufactor's page.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
What Umbra says is correct, and most veteran gamers know, get your drivers
directly from the source. Never let Windows update install nVidia drivers.
The realtek drivers are of no concern let them install, change your WinUpDate
settings so it will not look for nVidia. Just my suggestion, take it or leave it.
PeAcE

D

Deleted member 178

indeed, im not a gamer anymore. i was an hardcore one. so i know that every FPS counts ;)

i had a dual boot system , one for surfing/working, the other one for gaming only with no softwares installed except the ones needed for gaming.

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
One question to you guys-Have you used Driver Pack Solution?

It is my go-to tool when I'm prepping new setups.Saves me a lot of time,too....They often update their drivers with each release.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
One question to you guys...Have you used Driver Pack Solution?

It is my go-to tool when I'm prepping new setups.Saves me a lot of time,too....They often update their drivers with each release.
No, its a rule of thumb for me, I never use 3rd party driver updaters ever.
Nice to know that one works though.
PeAcE

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.