Advice Request Should i use Norton DNS on my router?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
I want it for the router not for 1 device.
Hello,

yes, but we recommend to test on one device before.
- NameBench for doing a bench (you can change the list to keep only the dns you want to compare, the default bench is long...)
- DNS jumper to change the dns of your desktop, and check how it runs

You can also make a few tests on command line without changing the dns:

nslookup www.youtube.com
ping www.youtube.com
-> a baseline

nslookup www.youtube.com <ip_of_the_dns_you_choose>
-> note the ip of youtube
-> ping the ip
-> try another dns...
-> try with other websites you like...

it's far from a full professional test, but I like to try things by myself !

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
You can use Norton DNS at router level, so that your whole network is well protected. If, vice versa, you have one or more devices (for example your personal computer) on which you do not want this level of protection, you can manually configure the network adapter settings, by setting the DNS you prefer: the DNS settings on the operating system have priority over those of the modem router. This means that if you want, you can use your computer with other DNS to access the Web, while the rest of your network will continue to be protected from DNS at router level.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Then why you asking us for help?

You know how to Configure DNS settings on the router.. But if something doesn't work for any of devices (apps or sites not loading), you're smart enough to figure it out..

If you bored to reply just dont do it.
Between nice little programme the DNS jumper ;)

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Hey,

i wanna change my router DNS with Norton's one. But is it worth it? Will i see a speed increase or a dicrease?
What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for your time.
The best thing to do is to test it for yourself. Check the speeds on your regular set up first, then apply Norton DNS and then check them again.
As for the policies and benefits, you can look here: Norton ConnectSafe

Reactions: Muppet and Rengar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.