Advice Request Should I use the driver provided by manufacture or most updated driver?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
Hello, currently I have an up to date driver installed for my display. My laptop is a Toshiba and I've been having issues with youtube videos making crackling noises. I'm not sure if that is related to my display driver, but after checking Toshiba's website, there is an older display version : 9.17.10.2843 from 2012-09-20. I have version : 10.18.10.4358 from 12/21/2015. Should I downgrade my driver to the one listed on the website?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello, currently I have an up to date driver installed for my display. My laptop is a Toshiba and I've been having issues with youtube videos making crackling noises. I'm not sure if that is related to my display driver, but after checking Toshiba's website, there is an older display version : 9.17.10.2843 from 2012-09-20. I have version : 10.18.10.4358 from 12/21/2015. Should I downgrade my driver to the one listed on the website?
I think there must be a newer driver on toshiba website. Give it another check. It just doesn't make sense that there are such old drivers there, especially since you yourself have a newer one

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
by the way, if you are on windows 10, it is worthwhile checking whether your model is fully compatible with windows 10.
This could be the source of your problems.
I remember someone posting on this forum who started having display problems several months after he upgraded to windows 10, only to discover that his model was not fully compatible.
I think he had an old toshiba.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014

hi, most of the time is not recommended to uninstall the drivers that comes per default in your system as you may loose some features that your OEM manufacturer packs with it, please remember that in support pages many times you would find generic drivers that may work just well but before that....

Have you checked your pc settings ie, driver options (set it to default)
in my case those cracking noises comes from the audio driver rather than the video one
anyway you may check intel driver updater or amd driver updater

as for the dates, many times OEM manufacturer modifies driver packages at their own will, so is natural that the version shown in your pc and the one shown in the webpage may not match, but that doesnt mean it wont work, in anycase to make sure you are downloading the right option you can use the hardware ID given in the device manager to identify the one that is okay for you..

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I recommend to keep Sound driver as the default, do not update it cuz it is mostly likely to cause some problems to the sound quality and compatibility. I am still using HP default sound card driver from 2012 (for windows 8.0 x64). In the latest version and also 2013 2014, Beats audio doesn't work properly and the sound is very bad

Intel, nvidia, and network drivers: keeping them up-to-date seems to be better
but newer network driver may cause some problems, just be ware to revert when needed

Keep 1 copy of all default drivers. Tried to update them using Iobit driver booster (IMO, it causes least compatibility issues compared to other famous driver updaters) or download directly from the website (intel, nvidia for example). If you have any problem you can revert anytime

Reactions: TheBlue262
H

hjlbx

Why does M$ update you drivers after you have upgraded from W7 or W8\8.1 to W10 ?

Because some OEM drivers on W7\8\8.1 are incompatible with or not optimized for W10; so to save you problems, M$ does the dirty work for you.

Always upgrading to the newest driver turns out to not be the right thing to do in a small percentage of cases. The newest driver - for whatever reason(s) causes problems.

In that case you just simply revert to the prior version.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
In most cases it is smart to keep drivers up to date, for security reasons,
and software / hardware stability. Downloading the Manufactures drivers is also a good idea seeing,
they made the software and publish updated drivers.
hjlbx said it best, try the newest if it does not improve your plight roll it back.

D

Deleted member 178

People has to know that MS when they started the development of Win10, asked to every major hardware vendors to develop drivers for Win10; those drivers were tested and when deemed compatible they were implemented in the OS, in the meantime , updates were shipped to MS servers of WU.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
by the way, if you are on windows 10, it is worthwhile checking whether your model is fully compatible with windows 10.
This could be the source of your problems.
I remember someone posting on this forum who started having display problems several months after he upgraded to windows 10, only to discover that his model was not fully compatible.
I think he had an old toshiba.
I think that's a good point. Unfortunately my laptop isn't compatible so I'm not even going to try and upgrade to W10 - I know of others with the same/similar model who've tried and it's been one big headache.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The logic of updating a drivers is way different compare to software.

You need to investigate it, check and verify the drivers before you update. Avoid latest version with label BETA to avoid numerous issues.

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
I think I'll use the version on the website since maybe it's what's compatible. Thanks for your tips everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.