Should Microsoft make Windows Home paid (monthly or annual subscription)?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I would pay a reasonable amount, if any amount in my opinion I would move all than my other half's lappy to Linux Mint, been trailing it this last few days & happier than I used to be with it, very happy actually also my needs have changed - I will take my Office 365 sub with me too :) :)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Don't like a subscription model.
A onetime fee should be enough.
I have a subscription for Office 365 Home though, soon to be Microsoft 365 Family.
MS could include the latest Windows version in that subscription...
It would be a bad move for security because people will or cannot pay a monthly fee.
So, there will be more not up to date or pirated and therefore vulnerable windows machines.
It also could be the year of Linux finally, but I'm afraid the Linux world is too fragmented for that.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I would pay 1$ for Home and 3$ for Pro version per month no more!
Microsoft should provide a good OS without bugs and security leaks before doing a sub model but right now it is not ready for that.
Win10 is the best windows ever (or win 8.1?) but with full of bugs and holes.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
It will probably be added to the 365 subscription. That's the most probable reason for the name change.
That what I was thinking about - give customers option to choose between several options like subscriptions for Windows only, Windows + Office and OneDrive, Windows + OneDrive etc.
As far as their are flexible I am OK with monthly or yearly fee.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
what's a fair amount and what is the reason for it after all these years?

That's a good question. I consider the current 365 price quite fair considering you get multiple users, full Office suite access and 1tb cloud storage for every user. I would say if they allow multiple Windows installs, Windows edition selection for let us say for an extra US$ 10 or US$ 20 a year it would still be fair.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Not a fan of any OS being subscription. Nor am I a fan of subscribing to an office program, which is why I'm staying with MS Office 2016. Should it ever become unusable, I'll move to LibreOffice or WPS Office.

If MS is considering subscriptions for Windows, a solution is to offer one version as subscription and load it with their latest and greatest innovations. A lesser version, maybe the current Win 10 1909 would remain free, but not get all the fancy glitter and baubles.

OR, if they don't want to do that, and choose to move to a subscription based operating system, at least allow current users to remain with the free version. Some users would go with it, others like me would stay with the free.

L

Local Host

Microsoft is not stupid enough to turn Windows into a subcription service, not exclusively at least (even Microsoft Office is sold at retail as one time purchase, no subcription is forced).
Not a fan of any OS being subscription. Nor am I a fan of subscribing to an office program, which is why I'm staying with MS Office 2016. Should it ever become unusable, I'll move to LibreOffice or WPS Office.
Can't see why you stuck on Microsoft Office 2016, when Microsoft supplies Office 2019 as a one time purchase as well, right at the bottom of the page, https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-all-microsoft-office-products
How is that? Office 365 Personal is 69 EUR a year (at least in NL).
Exactly, Personal, not Home plan which is 99€ a year.
Would be illegal for Microsoft to supply the same plan with different prices around Europe.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
So by switching to a monthly/yearly subscription, what happens to all those hundreds of millions who in essence paid for Windows when they paid for their OEM computers? There should be a timed limit then, embedded with the license in the motherboard BIOS? Five years following purchase, then you pay a subscription? How are you going to test the market for something like this, it's such a huge scale.

Why re-invent the wheel? Many antivirus have stripped-down free versions of their paid products. If Microsoft wants to get more aggressive with cracks, it can do so at its discretion. Here's something on KMSpico just from a quick search. Besides, Microsoft largely parted company with Windows years ago to focus on other things like R & D, cloud computing, and Mars exploration.

L

Local Host

So by switching to a monthly/yearly subscription, what happens to all those hundreds of millions who in essence paid for Windows when they paid for their OEM computers? There should be a timed limit then, embedded with the license in the motherboard BIOS? Five years following purchase, then you pay a subscription? How are you going to test the market for something like this, it's such a huge scale.

Why re-invent the wheel? Many antivirus have stripped-down free versions of their paid products. If Microsoft wants to get more aggressive with cracks, it can do so at its discretion. Here's something on KMSpico just from a quick search. Besides, Microsoft largely parted company with Windows years ago to focus on other things like R & D, cloud computing, and Mars exploration.
Microsoft doesn't care about pirated copies of Windows, at least on home users.

Microsoft is more worried about companies activating pirated copies in bulk, since it's their main market. They also said multiple times, their focus is on APPs and Services, not Windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.