Should you reload your OS when you system is compromised?

Jimmy Smith

Thread author
Feb 21, 2014
Hi

In the event that you get a virus on your OS, and you remove it using Malwarebytes, and change all your passwords, how can you be 100% sure that there is nothing left behind by the virus or hacker on the system? Is the best option to wipe the disk and reload the OS?

Thanks
Jimmy

D

Deleted member 178

it is what i do , i dont let any % chance to get leftovers

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reload? Do you mean a reformat followed by a clean installation.

- Connect to the Internet
- Activate your Windows OS
- Use Windows Updates to fully update.
- Create rescue mediums (Windows 7 and higher allows a Rescue disc and System Image disc to be created - Windows Backup and Recovery).
- Download AV or Suite directly from developers website (on this PC) - there's always a risk when transferring data via USB.
- Install, Update and reboot PC.
- Personalise your PC.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Reload? Do you mean a reformat followed by a clean installation.

- Connect to the Internet
- Activate your Windows OS
- Use Windows Updates to fully update.
- Create rescue mediums (Windows 7 and higher allows a Rescue disc and System Image disc to be created - Windows Backup and Recovery).
- Download AV or Suite directly from developers website (on this PC) - there's always a risk when transferring data via USB.
- Install, Update and reboot PC.
- Personalise your PC.
This is the best option to be absolutely sure

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
You could use a previous backup if you had one.
Or run a few different AV scanners.
Or use the recovery partition if your computer has one?
Or if indeed it just affected your OS back up everything you need that will not have been infected or that you are sure is safe along with all the product keys of any software you have bought(You should have them but this is a precaution) then make a list of all the programs you have. After that reinstall your OS and put everything back on it.

LuciferSam

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2014
Does Win 7 / 8 installation rewrite MBR? Some malware writes itself into Master Boot Record, and time ago i read a malware that writes itself into bios EEPROM (mebromi) just like his father: CiH. I don't know for UEFI firmware, anyway...

Reactions: Koroke San

LuciferSam

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2014
Some rootkit bypassed even u clean format it. If u wipe ur disk before clean install then rookit can't bypass ur system.
Seems strange, I mean if I rewrite Boot Record and Master Boot Record with a standard Boot Record / Master Boot Record, should be ok. If you have some malware like this, can you post it into malware exchange? Thanks :)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Seems strange, I mean if I rewrite Boot Record and Master Boot Record with a standard Boot Record / Master Boot Record, should be ok. If you have some malware like this, can you post it into malware exchange? Thanks :)
Don't know much about it & i saw a peep tested it in yt video, some rootkits bypassed it :)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Just make sure you've always got a clean system image.

D

Deleted member 178

if the worst case some malwares infect the BIOS so reformating is useless until you flash the BIOS; but a clean reinstallation should negate any "normal" infections.

Reactions: Koroke San
D

Deleted member 178

cannot since each BIOS is different; using different flash tools

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.