Shut down, sleep or hibernate my laptop when I go to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
:welcomewave:

When I go to sleep (usually 9 hours :D), I shut down the laptop and unplug the cable. Is what I do right or you have another recommendation?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Shut down, sleep or hibernate my PC when I go to sleep?

I would recommend to shut it down because it saves power and then once it is shut down turn the power cord that is plugged into the wall off, to save power.
That is what I do. It also refreshes the computer every time it boots.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I turned off my laptop. I never hibernate, or sleep on my new laptop.
Because, my laptop displays the desktop (main screen) just by 23 seconds.
but, for my old laptop. I just closed my laptop, and then unplug the power cord (but, the laptop battery plugged in) and sleep.
:p
and, I reccomend for laptop, Shut down it.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I think you are doing OK, saving energy and probably extending the life of your battery. However, rechargeable batteries die more quickly if they're left fully charged, so instead of keeping a laptop plugged in all the time, unplug it from time to time during the day. Also try to keep it as cool as possible, heat degrades battery (and laptop) performance.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
bogdan said:
I think you are doing OK, saving energy and probably extending the life of your battery. However, rechargeable batteries die more quickly if they're left fully charged, so instead of keeping a laptop plugged in all the time, unplug it from time to time during the day. Also try to keep it as cool as possible, heat degrades battery (and laptop) performance.

No I don't keep the battery in the laptop. I kept it in the laptop bag for months. I use the battery when I am in the airport or travelling a long distance by the car :D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Well, than you should store your battery in a cool & dry place and don't fully charge it before storage (maybe 40% charged). Here is an article about battery life.

Another thing to consider is that "when stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry itself may drain the battery below its shut down voltage" (according to wikipedia)... so the laptop will refuse to re-charge the battery.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I did the same thing as winandlinux, on my new laptop.
I put the battery, where the battery is placed when I first bought the laptop (elongated box)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
bogdan said:
Another thing to consider is that "when stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry itself may drain the battery below its shut down voltage" (according to wikipedia)... so the laptop will refuse to re-charge the battery.

How can I prevent the laptop to refuse recharging the battery?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is this okay?

Every night, I put my laptop into Sleep mode, while still plugged in to the mains with battery in.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Earth said:
Is this okay?

Every night, I put my laptop into Sleep mode, while still plugged in to the mains with battery in.

It may be safe, earth.
provided that, do not do something when the current battery charge.

here's the difference:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

and,
How Much Battery Life Does Sleep Mode Really Drain?
http://lifehacker.com/5526542/how-much-battery-life-does-sleep-mode-really-drain

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Shut Down is a must since no more power consumes, a low chance to cause many issues and easily restore from the temperature that caused to be spike up due to heat.

D

Deleted member 178

i always shut down, why let it open when i don't use, and also reduce the strain on the HDD since there is no updates and other activities.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Using sleep is not bad but if its really important but beside shut down would be the final solution. The battery would be save and constant the next you boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.