Advice Request Silly Idea to mod Tor Browser for everyday use

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Toying with an idea to use Tor Browser without Tor. What are your thoughts?

or should I just modify Firefox ESR Portable.

Conflicting thoughts as Tor is just ESR, but it has a smaller footprint and entire folder is around 170MB, while Firefox portable is about 230MB.

Not too sure or concern about the unique canvas fingerprinting.

First Impressions, comparing it side to side with waterfox and firefox, it seems Tor wins out and all 3 browser share the same addons, themes, user.js, and tweaks.

So far I am impress, just wondering if its a good idea or its just screaming TROUBLE, ALERT!!!!

Untitled.png

Attachments

• confused.png
    confused.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Brave does have Tor functionality built-in, if that's any help.
Why is storage usage so important to you?

Reactions: Svoll

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I run most of my programs off my USB drive, tho it's not a major concern, its just the speed of the browser and smaller footprint as I am unsure of what computer I would have when I am on the road or traveling to different sites.

I would rather not use (on site computer) browsers if I don't have to, My last customer's computer was ridden with virus and malware and still rocking a Intel Pen 4 400Mhz, =D

Reactions: brod56

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
This is a very interesting idea, now if there is a extension for FireFox that allows you to use tor with a private tab like Brave Browser has and you can use it in the Tor browser, then you could use the Tor Browser as everyday browser with its out of the box enhanced privacy features and the added convenience of Tor on demand.

Makes a great portable browser on your USB, won't be as seemless as Brave if you want to switch between regular and tor mode, few extra steps, enable the tor plugins, change setting to enable proxy and restart your browser, since its portable, i just have 2 on my computer and usb drive, one for tor and one for regular mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.