Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"..Only five of Microsoft’s bug fixes are rated as critical. But that doesn’t lessen the importance of applying patches as soon as possible; all five critical patches are for bugs that are potentially exploitable for remote code execution (RCE)..."

This is where I find I don't know what to do, I know that I should patch these critical flaws right away, but I've had so many Microsoft update problems over the years that I really don't want to have to deal with one more and prefer to wait a while to see if other users have update issues.

Experience of dealing with malware versus experience of dealing with Microsoft failures!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
"..Only five of Microsoft’s bug fixes are rated as critical. But that doesn’t lessen the importance of applying patches as soon as possible; all five critical patches are for bugs that are potentially exploitable for remote code execution (RCE)..."

This is where I find I don't know what to do, I know that I should patch these critical flaws right away, but I've had so many Microsoft update problems over the years that I really don't want to have to deal with one more and prefer to wait a while to see if other users have update issues.

Experience of dealing with malware versus experience of dealing with Microsoft failures!
You could create a system image beforehand and restore it if the update is unstable.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You could create a system image beforehand and restore it if the update is unstable.
That is very true. I do make regular Macruim Reflect images, I'd just prefer not to have to use them and be able to trust Microsoft gets it right. I do see that the numerous combinations of settings and installed software/apps it is possible for us all to configure our devices with how difficult it is for Microsoft to try and pre-empt every possible scenario.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

When there are security patches I would take the risk if I were you and install them asap. If they are simply updates with new features that you don't necessarily need in the next few days, then installing them a bit later shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.