Solved SkyDrive system tray icon in Windows 8.1 after patch tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
this cloud thing in my taskbar from skydrive shows up today after patch tuseday on windows 8.1
i usually wait a few days to get updates to see how others do but there was not that meany so i
thought what the heck

then i seen that cloud icon and started freaking out like some kind of rogue got on my pc lol
because i had not ever seen it before

i do not use skydrive and do not have it sync nothing so i thought it was turned off but now i
see it is on and with no way to get the icon out of the taskbar unless i uninstall skydrive and
i'm not sure i want to do that yet

i just wish i could turn it off and make the icon leave the taskbar lol but i guess for now i will
just have to deal with it

SkyDrive system tray icon in Windows 8.1

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1200237-skydrive-system-tray-icon-in-windows-81/

so if anyone else see's this icon a update from today is how the icon got there

:)

James

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Wasn't this supposed to be released with Update 1?

The "OneDrive" icon is nothing new, if you used Windows 7 (and prior) with the SkyDrive desktop application installed, it had the icon in the system tray to indicate it was running and or in sync mode.

It's currently not possible to install SkyDrive desktop app in Windows 8.1, as it's integrated. I would like to say this would be a welcome change, as it's an useful indication - if you use that service.

@jim lin Can you access Local Group Policy editor (gpedit.msc) on your PC?

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
i wish i could use gpedit.msc but i do not have Win 8.1 pro

before i did the upgrade to Win 8.1 i did a restore back to factory settings from my HP restore
partition with Win 8 to make sure i had no trouble with the upgrade to Win 8.1

thats when i found out about Skydrive syncing stuff to the cloud because after the restore on
my pc my pictures and wallpapers came back i was like wtf? how did that happen lol

i did know Skydrive was there but did not understand or use it i was still learning about Win 8
and did not care about it at that time but now i see what it can do i turned all the syncing to
it stuff off in the settings

i can see it could usefull to some but not for me as i do not keep nothing on my pc that i can't
replace i use a usb hard drive for that

it's just i wish i could remove the cloud icon in my taskbar now that it is there all the time

the only time i seen it before is if i opened it and now i have to see it all the time and i will never
use it lol

thay could of made it so i could disable it in my startup or services or something but it's not
there i have not found a way to get it out of my taskbar yet lmao

but i guess i can live with it even though i will never use it

thanks Huracan have i seen you somewhere before lol :cool:;)

:)

James

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

thats when i found out about Skydrive syncing stuff to the cloud because after the restore on
my pc my pictures and wallpapers came back i was like wtf? how did that happen lol

i can see it could usefull to some but not for me as i do not keep nothing on my pc that i can't
replace i use a usb hard drive for that

this is not skydrive but the sync feature of Win8 (one reason i like win8) when you use a online user account (and not a local account), it sync settings, apps, wallpapers and lockscreen background; very useful for me because i have 2 laptops running Win8.1

they could of made it so i could disable it in my startup or services or something but it's not
there i have not found a way to get it out of my taskbar yet lmao

true

Reactions: Ink
Upvote 0

Ved

Level 3
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
I guess there is no group policy option to disable skydrive integration in Windows 8, but windows 8.1 let us to do so.

:) i disabled Skydrive integration in Windows 8.1 using group policy editor.

Those who have windows 8.1 pro can do this by following these steps:
  1. Type 'gpedit.msc' in 'RUN' (Windows key + R) command
  2. expand Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>SkyDrive
and do as shown in screenshot.

Attachments

• Capture22.PNG
    Capture22.PNG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,732
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I had SkyDrive disabled (via gpedit.msc) in Windows 8.1, which removes the SkyDrive folder from File Explorer, but that also locks you out of the SkyDrive App from the Windows Store. I re-enabled it, updated and rebooted to see the "OneDrive" icon in the system tray. On boot, it doesn't appear until to open the SkyDrive folder in File Explorer.

Honestly, I like that they have brought this icon back, and if in Update 1, they add some right-click functionality it would be better. Example: Storage indicator, Manage Storage, Get more storage options.
upload_2014-2-14_11-8-12.png

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.