Skype Security flaw leads to user Location tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTester

Thread author
Jul 30, 2011
As part of study, NYU-Poly and France’s INRIA found a security flaw in Skype that allows to anyone to hack into skype and get your IP address,even a noob can do this.
Even if you are not signedin in skype , Still hacker can get your IP address. Using IP address, he can track your location or do any other malicious attacks.

Skyp Vulnerability

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Wow, hopefully they will release a fix for this soon, its kind of scary knowing someone can find where any one is

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Yea, that is a good way to protect yourself if you are really paranoid, but if you look at it this way there a millions of people who use skype so the chances they will single you out are slim but still possible

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's not good since no one want to track and void their privacy. The flaw leads to a really security risk.

D

Deleted member 178

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
What's a VPN? :D

Virtual Private Network http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

available in some apps like Hotspot Shield, Cocoon addon for Firefox, Comodo Trust Connect, etc...

list of known public VPN: http://www.eostech.in/2011/09/list-of-all-vpns-on-web.html

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
In my opinion I would never use public VPN. I use mine as and when for certain things... like when using wifi away from home etc. Currently using Comodo Trust Connect. www.btguard.com is another good one I've heard of..

Back on topic, it's scary to think how many would of been effected by this! Trust it to happen when Microsoft takes over haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.