[SLOVED thanks to @Umbra Corp. and @Biozfear !!]Rootkit/Bootkit Removal

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
I have a problem and need some Help!!

I am dual booting XP SP3 and windows 7
XP has a virtual Box with again XP SP3 installed on it.
My security configuration has EAM + CIS on both OS and only EAM on Virtual Box
My problem is,that on my XP system EAM is showing Heuristic Possible Rootkit in C:/MBR on physical drive 0,
Strange part is that on my on my virtual machine too EAM shows a Heuristic Possible Rootkit in C:/MBR on physical drive 0,

I tried to scan with the Hitman and its MBR as BOOTKIT,
Further on demand scan with TDSS killer shows nothing at all,
CIS is also not detecting anything!!

I didn’t had this rootkit/bootkit 2 days back

In these 2 days,

First I had installed Rollback Rx, because of which there was some BCD problem with my OS and system was not starting so I had to fix my BCD via some tools and not using the Installation Disc. After that again I installed Rollback Rx and it worked fine.

Rollback Rx is installed on my Virtual Machine as well.

Rest whatever application I have tired was on virtual or on sandboxie.

I think that the Rollback Rx’s activity which is to boot a window just before the start up, may be is giving EAM and Hitman a False Positive or the tool which I used to repair my BCD has caused this infection.

Is anybody else having the same issue??? If not how do you recommend to remove It.

I want to be ultra sure of the other infections spread by the rootkit/bootkit is identified and removed, so i dont mind doing some extra scan if you suggest!!

Below are the required attached File.
Thanks a lot for your concern!!

Attachments

• Extras.Txt
    33.6 KB · Views: 156
  • OTL.Txt
    117.8 KB · Views: 168
  • aswMBR.txt
    22.1 KB · Views: 165

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
RE: Rootkit/Bootkit Removal Assistance

The issue is solved, its a false positive of Rollback Rx, thanks to @Umbra Corp. and Biozfear !!
btw if you can find anything suspicious from the above txt files please let me know :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.