Smart appliances that might turn ‘dumb’ - food for thought, and debate!

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"Smart appliances that can be controlled remotely and will let you know if there is a fault or other problem may not be worth paying extra for unless manufacturers commit to keeping software updated, Which? has warned.https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jun/08/smart-appliances-may-not-be-worth-money-in-long-run-warns-which
The consumer group said that smart fridges, dishwashers and tumble dryers cost hundreds of pounds more than their conventional counterparts, but in some cases could be rendered obsolete after as little as two years."

I can't access the original article on the website of the UK consumer magazine 'Which?', as I am not a subscriber. The artiicle that I've linked to by no means gives a comprehensive account of what tech companies expect to be the lifetimes of their products, or how they will support them. I've steered clear of smart devices when possible as I've thought they could lead to a security nightmare long-term, as indeed seems to be the case with many well-known cases - from 'smart' childrens' toys to doorbells. I think this is going to get worse if manufactureres only expect some products to only get suppport for possibly 2 years.

What do others think?

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.