Smart TVs Are Stupid: Why You Don’t Really Want a Smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Wouldn’t it be great to have a smart TV? Well, not really. Smart TVs have a lot of problems. If you do have a smart TV, you’d be better off combining it with a cheap set-top box rather than actually using its smart features.

Smart TVs are actually a decent idea, in theory. The problem isn’t that the idea of a smart TV is stupid, the problem is that the smart TVs themselves are stupid — or, at least, not very smart.

There are other problems too — always on voice controls mean that your TV is listening to everything you say, and sending it back to unknown third parties. And the companies that make them are trying to find a way to squeeze extra money from you by embedding advertising or getting paid to recommend things.

Last edited:

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
When I bought my last tv I researched 'smart tvs' and was poised to go in that direction. However, based on the data I had at the time, present article excluded, I decided to buy a non smart tv and complement it with a smart blu-ray player instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.