Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Smartphones make you less efficient at work, claims study:
SOURCE: timesofindia.indiatimes.com (ARTICLE DATE: 26th Aug 2016)

While smartphones help us stay in touch with colleagues, keep on top of our inbox, and complete urgent tasks on the move, they at the same time also make users less productive at work, claims a new psychological experiment by the Universities of Wurzburg and Nottingham Trent...

homme-daffaires-etudiant-pc-1456605281lw6.jpg

[IMAGE: publicdomainpictures.net]
The study commissioned by security firm Kaspersky Lab unearthed a correlation between productivity levels and the distance between participants and their smartphone. When their smartphone was taken away, participant performance improved by 26%. The experiment tested the behavior of 95 persons between 19 and 56 years of age in laboratories at the universities of Wurzburg and Nottingham-Trent. Care was taken to balance experimental conditions and gender across laboratory sites.

Researchers asked participants to perform a concentration test under four different circumstances: With their smartphone in their pocket, at their desk, locked in a drawer and removed from the room completely. The results are significant - test results were lowest when the smartphone was on the desk, but with every additional layer of distance between participants and their smartphones, test performance increased. Overall, test results were 26% higher when phones were removed from the room.

"Previous studies have shown that on the one hand, separation from one's smartphone has negative emotional effects, such as increased anxiety, but, on the other hand, studies have also demonstrated that one's smartphone may act as an distractor when present. In other words, both the absence and presence of a smartphone could impair concentration", says Jens Binder from the University of Nottingham Trent.

[To read the full article please visit the link at the top of the page]

davidp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2016
Interesting. I used to work in a place where most electronics were prohibited, and now I work in a free-access environment. I would argue that while my productivity is probably a little lower, I feel more satisfied, as I don't have to worry about whether or not my family can contact me for whatever reason.

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
@Logethica
Good research but I thing it totally depends upon people who have Smart phones. It is the game of self control basically. Some people do use their phone during their jobs without any reason but only see their notification and news on social media which cause the laziness. If they don't use smart phones during their duties then this laziness'll convert in their strong point I think.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.