🙄

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Regarding smartphones and PCs, I think that the perception that the higher the numerical value of the specification is, the better is too strong.
That's true, but it can be a wasteful investment depending on the application you use. I mainly use smartphones for phone functions. I don't think I need 16GB of memory.
I wish I could choose the amount of memory installed.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Regarding smartphones and PCs, I think that the perception that the higher the numerical value of the specification is, the better is too strong.
That's true, but it can be a wasteful investment depending on the application you use. I mainly use smartphones for phone functions. I don't think I need 16GB of memory.
I wish I could choose the amount of memory installed.
There was always an option, as we speak for Xiaomi high end devices. 6GB variants were always the barebone

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
For current apps this is over the edge. No app needs that much RAM nor Android 10 is tweaked to keep all the apps in the background. 8GB is more than enough for today's standards.
Average Joe : " 16GB?!?! Take my money!!!"

I would say even 8Gb is too much on a phone. My notebook runs perfectly well with 8GB and the software it runs is orders of magnitude more complex than anything I have on my phone. This is pure marketing.

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
I agree. It's just marketing. The same thing about RAM can also be seen in the megapixel area.
The relationship between the sensor and focal distance is essential and with the ever-decreasing thickness of modern smartphones (less thickness = less focal distance available), a technical limit has been reached. To overcome the technical limitations of the lack of space, modern sensors now rely only on the software part. Not always with good results. Marketing, however, pushes the purchase of smartphones with cameras with ever greater numbers of megapixels.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I believe that high-performance hardware is most in demand from gamers. It is the same tendency as pc.
But I think games that demand high performance are beyond the size of smartphones that are often operated with one hand. Even if more precise graphics can be displayed, fingertips will probably not follow.
I think the slight difference between a smartphone and a compact tablet device is whether it can be used with one hand.

Reactions: roger_m and RKRN3

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Technology is evolving, which is an awesome thing. Someone that we rely heavily on is our phones. You may only use it for Facebook, Snapchat or even TikTok, but some people do everything on their phone, emails, photo editing and more. So 16GB will help those that use heavy intense software for work.

Reactions: show-Zi and roger_m

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's confirmed that the Xiaomi M1 10 Pro 5G only comes with 12GB RAM max. Read from below

The Xiaomi 10 Pro 5G with SD865 SoC has a slightly inferior spec than the S20 Ultra like

Only available in max 12GB RAM. No 16GB RAM version like Samsung

Like Samsung the Xiaomi Mi Pro 5G supports SA/NSA but not sure if it supports both mmWave and Sub6? Samsung S20 Ultra supports both the latter.

Xiaomi screen also smaller size at 6.67 inch and of FHD+ lower resolution, 90Hz refresh rate and a touch sampling rate of 180Hz only. But it's really bright at 1120nits with a 500 000:1 contrast ratio

Samsung screen is of Gorilla Glass 6 vs Xiaomi Gorilla Glass 5

Xiaomi battery also of lower capacity at 4500mAh vs Samsung's 5000mAh

That makes the Xiaomi a cheaper buy

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.