Snap-do Engine

Xenophon

Thread author
Oct 12, 2013
My wife's computer got Snap-do and Snap-do Engine. Cannot uninstall. Ran ADW Cleaner once and Junk Remover once and was able to delete Snap-do, Have run both again and Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes and still cannot remove Snap-do Engine. Windows Fix-it was also no use as it asked for a product number and there is none. What do I do next, please ? Is Snap-do Engine harmful. The computer is a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
all your answers are here hope it helps
http://blog.anvisoft.com/adware-removal-guide/how-to-remove-search-snap-do-virus-from-ieffchrome-snap-do-toolbar-removal-guide/

I

illumination

Most of these guides did not help me uninstall it, as it changed many of the registry keys associated with IE.. I went through the whole registry on a friends computer, everything that had to do with Internet Explorer had traces of snap do attached.. Once i deleted most of these, it disappeared from "manage add ons" in IE..

Xenophon

Thread author
Oct 12, 2013
illumination said:
Most of these guides did not help me uninstall it, as it changed many of the registry keys associated with IE.. I went through the whole registry on a friends computer, everything that had to do with Internet Explorer had traces of snap do attached.. Once i deleted most of these, it disappeared from "manage add ons" in IE..

How do you do that on the infected machine ?

I

illumination

Xenophon said:
illumination said:

1.Go to add/remove programs and uninstall snapdo..
2.You will then have to manually go into your "browsers" to reset your search pages/start up pages, and uninstall any add ons
3.You have to open Windows Registry Editor. Simply search for regedit and run it as administrator.

Once there, navigate to, and delete the following Windows registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main → delete "Search Bar"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search → delete "Default_Search_URL"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search → delete "SearchAssistant"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl → delete "Default"

Then, navigate to, and modify the following Windows registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Right-click the "Search Page" key and select Modify. Change key value data to: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{006ee092-9658-4fd6-bd8e-a21a348e59f5}

Right-click the "URL" key and select Modify. Change key value data to:
http://www.bing.com/search?q={searchTerms}

I found editing the registry first actually made it easier to reset browser search/ and remove the add ons.. Even if you completely reset IE, without doing these regedit's, snap do will still be in your "manage add ons"..

Xenophon

Thread author
Oct 12, 2013
illumination said:
Xenophon said:
illumination said:

2.You will then have to manually go into your "browsers" to reset your search pages/start up pages, and uninstall any add ons
3.You have to open Windows Registry Editor. Simply search for regedit and run it as administrator.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main → delete "Search Bar"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search → delete "Default_Search_URL"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search → delete "SearchAssistant"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl → delete "Default"

Right-click the "Search Page" key and select Modify. Change key value data to: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{006ee092-9658-4fd6-bd8e-a21a348e59f5}

I found editing the registry first actually made it easier to reset browser search/ and remove the add ons.. Even if you completely reset IE, without doing these regedit's, snap do will still be in your "manage add ons"..
Thanks for all this but step 1 doesn't work. One cannot uninstall Snap-do Engine. Doesn't this make the rest rather redundant ?

I

illumination

Xenophon said:
illumination said:
Xenophon said:
illumination said:

Thanks for all this but step 1 doesn't work. One cannot uninstall Snap-do Engine. Doesn't this make the rest rather redundant ?

Have you tried killing the process for snap do off in the task manager before trying to uninstall? If not, give this a shot. I did not have that much trouble uninstalling from the add/remove programs, although there was plenty left over after uninstall. It is why i ended up going through all files deleting anything that had to do with snap do/smart bar, and the same in the registry.. I had luck finally beating this by killing off the registry keys first, the hunting the rest down and resetting the browsers..
And to answer your question,
there is no quicker way to kill off a program, then ripping the registry keys pertaining to it, out....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.