So i did test all free AV and was Surprised.

Are you surprised by the results conducted in my test?

• Yes

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Not on all programs

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
So after i allways trusted on other opinions and stuff i finally made my own Malware test.

Settings are stated after the programm name if not its standard settings

i made it mixed because i wanted to see Long term and short term defense

Virus/malware/ransomware/adware/more 862 Files 657mb
50% Completely Fresh (less than 1 day old) 50% from weeks and months old mixed

Found Programm Settings / notes
777 Comodo Cloud AV ( the new cloud AV of them Didnt want to Upload any data for analysis. didnt sandbox anything.
767 Comodo AV ( standard AV ) Bad Popups after scanning and stuff
746 Avast FREE PUA Enabled ( like all others ) Didnt want to Upload any data for analysis.
721 Malwarebytes ( the Heur scan part of the standard scan found 200 detections of the 721)
704 Zemana AntiMalwareFREE Fast and steady scan Didnt want to Upload any data for analysis.
664 Bitdefender FREE Didnt want to Upload any data for analysis.
661 Avira Updated standard settings like all
617 Qihoo 360 TS all Engines Didnt want to Upload any data for analysis.
456 Panda AV FREE HEAVY use of Network traffic while scanning , Very slow scanning.
444 Qihoo 360 TS Didnt want to Upload any data for analysis.
221 Iobit Malwarefighter5Free Very fast scan.
131 Glarysoft malware Hunter Fast scan . Looks and feels like Qihoo 360
81 Windows Defender win 10 Creators Update Did want to Upload data for analysis.
N.A AVG Only AV that made my VM crawl at snail speed. it was a torture. scan didnt exceed 3% , Settings menu Looked alot like avast.

i was a hell lot Surprised by comodo ( the test itself happened 2 days ago ) so i can send you the malware pack with PW i used ( made myself ) but... with the time gone there could be differences to my test
Qihoo is pretty bad as it looks like without all 3 engines ... and windows defender was ... ye laughable

i Would recommend Avast good and great full package for free.

This test was run in a VM after each test it was Reset
*didnt want to Upload means it didnt ask me for supsicious files to upload or did automatically. only WD wanted it and panda of course.
The vm had 3 cores allocated and 6 gb of ram 50gb of HDD space

i hope its in the right category if not pls tell me where

* PS i tried my best :) was just actually meant for myself and was my first test but i thought it could be interesting for you all

Last edited:

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I've seen a YT detection test of Comodo beating Avast recently so not entirely surprised. Malwarebytes looks impressive here last YT test I saw it had like 30% detection rate and I didn't expect it to beat Zemana. Bitdefender's score is a bit of a shocker and Windows Defender is right where I thought it would be. :rolleyes:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This test was run in a VM after each test it was Reset
*didnt want to Upload means it didnt ask me for supsicious files to upload or did automatically. only WD wanted it and panda of course.
Q:
  1. Were the sample copied to the VM before or after the Antivirus was installed?
  2. Did you check for virus definition updates before scanning?
  3. Was the VM taken offline (ie. disable network connectivity) before scanning?
  4. Did you run (execute) any of the samples?
N.A AVG Only AV that made my VM crawl at snail speed. it was a torture. scan didnt exceed 3% , Settings menu Looked alot like avast.
N.A Avira I didnt test it For multiple reasons ( stuff it wants to install. not compatible with SD )
AVG and Avast share same technologies, expect to see visual similarities.
Doesn't seem fair.. how can you make a recommendation if you some products weren't tested based on your personal views about them. SD is Shadow Defender? I thought you mentioned you were using a Virtual Machine (VM)?

Considering these are your personal tests, using what you think is best is recommended.

Zemana AntiMalware isn't Free, unless you used the Portable which lacks Premium features including real-time protection (edit: including Malwarebytes) and when compared to other Free Antivirus software, it may be considered as a disadvantage depending on your testing methodology - open for discussion.

Thanks for sharing.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Q:
  1. Were the sample copied to the VM before or after the Antivirus was installed?
  2. Did you check for virus definition updates before scanning?
  3. Was the VM taken offline (ie. disable network connectivity) before scanning?
  4. Did you run (execute) any of the samples?

AVG and Avast share same technologies, expect to see visual similarities.
Doesn't seem fair.. how can you make a recommendation if you some products weren't tested based on your personal views about them. SD is Shadow Defender? I thought you mentioned you were using a Virtual Machine (VM)?

Considering these are your personal tests, using what you think is best is recommended.

Zemana AntiMalware isn't Free, unless you used the Portable which lacks Premium features including real-time protection (edit: including Malwarebytes) and when compared to other Free Antivirus software, it may be considered as a disadvantage depending on your testing methodology - open for discussion.

Thanks for sharing.
1 Before the av was Installed.
2 Allways Uptodate
3 VM was Online ( hence panda using tons of bandwith while scanning )
4 it was a detection test. i just scanned the sample pack allways fresh
4,5 but i tried each av like 10 files to run on average each av did block only block 3-6 of these. ( allways the same 10 files ) ( the bottom 5 didnt even block it . wd found 2 of these )

5 Smart screen , defender and stuff was Off while i tried other av.

i wasnt able to end the scan with AVG ( entire vm was unstable . my vm so stable like i would run a defrag . a av scan . a winrar operation and a high end game on my real system and then my real system would be probably even like 3 times more responsive i left avg to run for 30 minutes ( the longest other av scan was 15 min Average of the av scans was Probably like 3 or 4 min excluded avg )

avira wasnt Possible too due the crapware it allways wanted to finish the install procedure but failed due to their vpn for some reason .

i included all i could ( see iobit , glary and stuff i dont like them but i did it.)

i didnt include tencent because Multiple sites took their downloads of for malicious behavior.

i added zemana and Mbam as on demand scanners just to see their detection rates :) ( because people use them often as second line defense ) its after all a detection test

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for sharing your test :)

But as @Spawn said, there are many variables in the game to get something like a professional malware test.
Our HUB guys know better than me.
Primarily it is necessary to execute the undetected samples by static scan based on signatures and code emulation.
Only by running the malware, it will trigger all of the behavioral dynamics technologies that represent the real efficacy of a product that otherwise could not be objectively estimated.

EDIT : sorry while I was writing you posted.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
May i ask why one of the best signature based AV (Avira) wasn't tested? What is SD? What what not compatible with SD?
it wasnt tested because of that "avira wasnt Possible too due the crapware it allways wanted to finish the install procedure but failed due to their vpn for some reason ." tried 3 times. probably because of the VM but i didnt really wanted to test just because of avira this malware pack on a life system^^

my guess is it would be around avast either under or above but my guess by a small amount under it.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
it wasnt tested because of that "avira wasnt Possible too due the crapware it allways wanted to finish the install procedure but failed due to their vpn for some reason ." tried 3 times. probably because of the VM but i didnt really wanted to test just because of avira this malware pack on a life system^^

my guess is it would be around avast either under or above but my guess by a small amount under it.

VPN being used at install? They don't use a VPN to install anything. You can always opt-out of any other avira apps if custom installed. Weird it didn't install, I'm sure it's some other reason (hence my personal doubts about the validity of your tests).

But, what is SD and why did you say Avira wasn't compatible? Didn't understood this part.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
To be honest, that's why I refuse to use free antivirus products - they just do not offer the protection paid products i.e., Kaspersky. They aren't the best/win awards (then the left say it's fake news, they pay off review companies, but is there 100% proof of that?) for no reason.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
To be honest, that's why I refuse to use free antivirus products - they just do not offer the protection paid products i.e., Kaspersky. They aren't the best/win awards (then the left say it's fake news, they pay off review companies, but is there 100% proof of that?) for no reason.
I am of the idea that with a good free antivirus such as Avast or Bitdefender free + a good firewall like Comodo, you can be rather quiet, if you need a more complete product, perhaps with functions for e-banking, etc, then it might be worth to buy it.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
1 Before the av was Installed.
2 Allways Uptodate
3 VM was Online ( hence panda using tons of bandwith while scanning )
4 it was a detection test. i just scanned the sample pack allways fresh
4,5 but i tried each av like 10 files to run on average each av did block only block 3-6 of these. ( allways the same 10 files ) ( the bottom 5 didnt even block it . wd found 2 of these )

5 Smart screen , defender and stuff was Off while i tried other av.

i wasnt able to end the scan with AVG ( entire vm was unstable . my vm so stable like i would run a defrag . a av scan . a winrar operation and a high end game on my real system and then my real system would be probably even like 3 times more responsive i left avg to run for 30 minutes ( the longest other av scan was 15 min Average of the av scans was Probably like 3 or 4 min excluded avg )

avira wasnt Possible too due the crapware it allways wanted to finish the install procedure but failed due to their vpn for some reason .

i included all i could ( see iobit , glary and stuff i dont like them but i did it.)

i didnt include tencent because Multiple sites took their downloads of for malicious behavior.

i added zemana and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as on demand scanners just to see their detection rates :) ( because people use them often as second line defense ) its after all a detection test
You dont need to install the premium features in free.... in avira
In free its just useless ;) but no need to install vpn

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017

The download on the homepage for Avira automatically tries to install the whole suite.
This link here downloads just the antivirus: https://package.avira.com/package/oeavira/win/int/avira_en_av_58f916ad2bafc__ws.exe

Please do finish the test :)

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Found a way . will look into it if the avs find now more viruses or if its the same . if its the same i will add avira to this here.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
The download on the homepage for Avira automatically tries to install the whole suite.
This link here downloads just the antivirus: https://package.avira.com/package/oeavira/win/int/avira_en_av_58f916ad2bafc__ws.exe

Please do finish the test :)
i can Only finish the test if no other antivirus finds more. lets say if comodo now finds 800 avast now 799 and panda like 700 its gone the test the malware made its round and everyone detects it now.

that would mean i need to find another 800-1000 malwares . mix them and redo them all. no thanks took multiple hours

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Added avira
661/862 Avira Updated standard settings like all

detections of other AV ( tried comodo , avast , panda and qihoo ) again all same results as earlier ,so its fair to release avira. later because nothing changed yet.

Attachments

• avira.jpg
    avira.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.