Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Intego said:
Until just a few minutes ago, Softonic, a software download site, was delivering adware that would be installed regardless of whether the user had declined to install it. This threat was embedded in fake UnRarX and VLC installer packages.

711x440xpackage_options.png.pagespeed.ic.0_SxRM9-g3.png

These packages purported to install a toolbar that is related to ChatZum. Even if the user declined the offer to install the toolbar, the package would silently install an Internet plug-in called Zako, and would change the browser’s search option to point to ChatZum’s site.

Read more: http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/softonic-download-site-briefly-delivers-trojan-adware-installer/

Reactions: Littlebits

japchinlvr

Apr 16, 2013
3 days ago I got V9 Portal Hijacker from a softonic download. I declined all offers. Still working on the removal!

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ZeroDay said:
I never use Softsonic, I've just never trusted them.

Same here. I have never downloaded a piece of software from this site. And to be honest Softonic is known to bundle adware with their installer, so maybe you wouldn't have gotten the ChatZum Toolbar, but you would still have installed another piece of adware.

Simple tip: Avoid Softonic!

@japchinlvr. V9 will hijack your browser shortcuts by adding it's argument in the Target field. You should be able to remove this hijack by running this software: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/shortcut-cleaner/

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
I never trust download sites which offer their own online software downloaders, such as Softonic, Brothersoft and CNET.
The only two download sites that I trust and use are Softexia and Softpedia which offer legit or complete downloads either from their servers directly or from the developer's server.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Softonic has been serving malware in their installers for awhile.

Safe download sites are Softpedia, MajorGeeks, FileHippo and SnapFiles.
And the download sites offered by BetaNews- Filefourm and DownloadCrew.

I never trust other download sites.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Web of Trust marked it as cautious (AFAIK) for softonic and like brothersoft they are allowing/bypassing some files to be grayware/adware.

Better at all from manufacturer site itself for official mirrors.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I may have used Softonic once, and almost made a positive reviews of the site. Lucky I didn't

arc_de_triomphe

Level 1
Verified
Jan 2, 2013
I agree with you : Softonic is a bad site :mad:

The problem is sometimes the official site redirect us to some of those bad sites to download the product.
In that case, Softpedia and MajorGeeks are very helpful ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.