Advice Request Software Updater and Trusted Applications Mode (are they unique to Kaspersky ?)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Does anyone know of any other security suites that have the equivalent of:

1. Trusted Applications Mode
2. Software Updater

I like these features. I'm not sure that the other mainstream security suites have the equivalent. I asked Norton customer support and they told me 'yes' because it has a firewall and automtically updates malware definitions ! Obviously that's a load of rubbish that didn't answer my question. I therefore take it that Norton does not have such features. Its a shame because they are also a quality security vendor with good detection rates in tests.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 Kaspersky's TAM is roughly comparable to Avast's Hardened/Aggressive mode. Both force your PC to stick strictly to a list of known and trusted software. The Avast list is bigger. TAM is implemented with more sophistication; it is applied also to DLLs, and it works even without an active Internet connection.
2 Avast has a software updater, and I think that some other AVs do, too.

Windows Defender has an advanced option that you can enable, it allows only software that passes a certain age and prevalence threshold. This is a reputation service, roughly comparable to that of Kaspersky and Avast. To enable Windows Defender advanced options, use Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
The application control in Panda Dome is a bit similar to Kaspersky's TAM. It will only allow exe's and dll's that are known and trusted by their collective intelligence cloud. It can be set to always ask or to block automatically.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
does TAM play well with application updates ?
Also does someone have experience with how TAM treated the infected ccleaner update? Did it let it through ?

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
does TAM play well with application updates ?
Also does someone have experience with how TAM treated the infected ccleaner update? Did it let it through ?
I have used kaspersky software updater and TAM since 2016, it has improved in performace, don't have problems maybe because I don't install a lot of programs but some games and software to work, some game recently updated may be blocked but I allow it with the notification.

Ccleaner is a excepcional big case of "trusted application" hacked, no software security could prevent "the infection" (i believe so) you don't have to worry because that kind of attack is targeted to big companies and the affected version was 32-bits, so, yeah I get the update for the no affected version of 64 bits I think 2 weeks later the launch and 2 before the notice, and then I uninstalled it and don't use ccleaner since then.

However, kaspersky's updater module works a little delayed from days up to 2 weeks to apply a patch for some supported application, I don't really worry to get an update since the day one (only my browser which it's automatically set it to update), I prefer to let kaspersky with the trusted application mode and the software updater manage the job without worries.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The infected CCleaner was a legit signed application, so unless You had "Trusted digitally signed application" disable, obviously will run without restrictions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.