Advice Request Solution - FF browser closed but it's still running in the background

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm using FF Quantum v61.0.1 and I was suddenly hit by it yesterday after running FF for so long without issue. You can check with Task Manager to see that FF is still running despite the browser's being closed

You can either close FF in the Task Manager or open FF on your desktop whereby a pop up meassage will appear telling you the old FF session is still running and you'll need to close it.

The problem I brought up is an age-old problem with FF. Previous versions also suffer from it and there are even specific fixes for some versions.

The below steps which I have tried won't work out

1) Disabled all extensions
2) Defaulting all modified preferences
3) Uninstall and reinstall FF

Don't panic!! Below are the step I took to solve it.

1) Go to the top right corner and click on the hamburger (3 bars) menu
2) Go to ==> Help ==> Troubleshooting Information ==> Application Basics ==> Profile Folder
3) Click on Open Folder and it'll open File Explorer to C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fxi5bfyx.default
4) Close FF
5) Look for prefs file and rename to prefs.old (when FF restarts it'll create a new prefs file)
6) Close File Explorer and restart FF
7) Go to ==> Options ==> Privacy & Security ==> History and set Firefox will Never Remember History. In short, you're runnnig in Private Browsing mode

The problem looks like if you set "Use custom settings for history" and tick "Clear history when Firefox closes" which I used previously all the while

8) Exit FF and restart
9) Check to make sure Firefox will Never Remember History has been set
10) You can confirm in Task Manager that FF is no longer running in the background after you close the browser

Note :- After this process you'll need to re-apply all the preferences

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.