Advice Request [Solved] Active Engines of 360TS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I have a few doubts regarding the additional engines of 360 (please refer to pic).
With this config -
  1. when both additional engines are enabled, but all other settings (file protection, scan file when opened/saved ..etc) are disabled, is 360 protecting the PC in any way?
  2. will the BD and Avira engines be used when I do a custom scan of some file using the Win Explorer context entry ("scan with 360TS")?

WDAjzgP.png

I already have KIS and VooDooShield in real-time. Experimenting with 360.
Thanks!

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i think this is overkill. i would even uninstall VS and keep \kis or uninstall Kasperky and keep VS with another antivirus free or paid.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
i think this is overkill. i would even uninstall VS and keep \kis or uninstall Kasperky and keep VS with another antivirus free or paid.
You see, I have already disabled the main real-time components of 360. Its only KIS and VooDoo.
I have kept the 360TS for on-demand scan, and these 2 doubts pop up regarding the BD and Avira engines. I need them for on-demand scan

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Last edited:

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
even though you disable all components from 360 there are several services and threads using your system resources. consider using an on-demand scanner like zemana / hmp / malwarebytes

Reactions: Parsh and AtlBo

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello, I already have Zemana on my PC.
This is in case when I need BD and Avira signatures when I want to scan files offline (and on demand).
and for this reason, I think emsisoft emergency kit is much better and faster with better signatures then :eek:
it's portable with a ridiculously fast scanning speed compare to other offline scanners. slower than zemana
also herdProtect with 68 engines is also a good choice for an online scanner

Reactions: Parsh and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Why not using Zemana Anti Malware (free)?
Clean your computer in minutes with Zemana AntiMalware, no matter how badly infected!
Qihoo 360 TS(E) receives updates for Avira + BD only twice a day.

Thanks for this information. I just attempted an update to see if manually updating would bring an update of them, but it did not in this case. I guess they are rolled out at a specific time each day. No updates to the defs today so far, but two sounds and appears correct based on the logs.

I guess Qihoo updates in real time against known zero day only with its cloud engines. Oh well, everything else about the program has improved over time, so maybe their cloud defs will too.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
and for this reason, I think emsisoft emergency kit is much better and faster with better signatures then :eek:
it's portable with a ridiculously fast scanning speed compare to other offline scanners. slower than zemana
also herdProtect with 68 engines is also a good choice for an online scanner

My bad, I mean to say that I needed 360 for active protection (BD and Avira engines offline) for some time when executing risky files, besides my Kaspersky.
Yes, HerdProtect is nice and I already have it!

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
even though you disable all components from 360 there are several services and threads using your system resources. consider using an on-demand scanner like zemana / hmp / malwarebytes
Corrected. My bad, I mean to say that I needed 360 for temporary realtime protection (BD and Avira engines offline) when executing risky files, besides my Kaspersky.
Yes, I see their Self-defense, update etc. services still active :)

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Guys, I got the answer, the engine utilizations are mentioned in the 'information popup' available in the scan log

M4NKOh6.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.