Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
LaserWraith said:
Come on Jack, can't you get a hosting plan with unlimited space? Allocated attachment usage is 30 KB. What use is that? And avatars have to be what, 20 KB or less?
We are working on a ranking system, when you will promote to a new group , you will have more rights :D ...

Cool wallpaper btw

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Desktops Show Off!

They will stay , it's for the members , we will create some groups with different rights.User will promote to a new group when they meet a criteria or a more , mainly :
Numeber of post and reputation points. :D

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

Jack said:
They will stay , it's for the members , we will create some groups with different rights.User will promote to a new group when they meet a criteria or a more , mainly :
Number of post and reputation points. :D
Will say a moderator with 0 posts have all of the rights of a user with 5,000 posts?

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Jack said:
We are working on a ranking system, when you will promote to a new group , you will have more rights :D ...

Cool wallpaper btw

:dodgy: Well, at least I know about tons of file hosting services. My little text file would probably fill up the space I have here. :p

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
RE: Avatar and Attachments size limits

My current avatar size is under 5 kB. Limit is 30 kB. Dimentions: 100x100. They get scaled down to 70x70 in the forum though, because it looks better with the myBB default layout (Username and avatar on top of the post.)

By the way, in myBB you can switch to a clasic layout - Username and avatar on the side of the post. To do this go to your User Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Thread View Options and Enable Display posts in classic mode.

Attachment Quota.
It needs to be increased. But it can't be unlimited (even though hosting is not the issue). At some point you'll have to use those hosting services. It will be increased for users with 20+ posts.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

See, the way Comodo forums does it (though they probably have more money to spend) is to let each person have 20MB per post. Fill it up with lots of little pictures, or a few big ones, or whatever. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Of course, I've just been at Comodo forums for so long that I pick at different things. I usually prefer SMF. ;)

BTW...thanks for the thread split. :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

If everyone would use those 20 MB / post with pictures, a single page won't load for most users.

Note: Attachment Quota and the size of your attachments in one post are two different things. The Attachment Quota is the maximum amount of storage a member of a group may use for attachments.

Jack has the final word on the quota but IMO it should not be unlimited for all users because it is not needed.

Size of your attachments in one post:

Although this is configurable in myBB settings, the maximum upload size, also depends on the web server configuration. Currently, the following PHP limits apply: Upload Max File Size: 8M and Max Post Size: 8M. These are php.ini directives, to change them I think that Jack needs to contact the hosting support. So even if he allows you to upload 20MB/post in myBB settings, you'll get an error.

Big uploads over plain HTTP POST can be a pain. So it makes no sense in offering the possibility to upload a big file if the upload will fail.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
If everyone would use those 20 MB / post with pictures, a single page won't load for most users. Jack has the final word on the quota but IMO it should not be a "All you can eat" offer, at least not for all users.

It should be about how much you actually need to upload in a post. The maximum upload size, also depends on the web server configuration: Currently, the following PHP limits apply: Upload Max File Size: 8M and Max Post Size: 8M. So even if he allows you to upload more... you'll get an error.
Big uploads over plain HTTP POST can be a pain. So it makes no sense in offering the possibility to upload a big file if the upload will fail.

Oh, I forgot to say that only a thumbnail loads...you have to click for the original.. And people rarely fill all 20MB.

Jack has the final word on the quota but IMO it should not be a "All you can eat" offer, at least not for all users.

And why shouldn't it? We have "all you can eat" posting allowed. You mods/admins can moderate posts. Just make that people aren't going overboard on uploading files. Besides, you have to register to see attachments, right (at least it is that way for most forums)? So people can't just use this site to send files to their friends or host them, etc.

Of course, I don't mean that we should be able to, or that it would be reasonable to upload huge files. If that was needed, you would use some dedicated file sharing services (or torrents). However, it is slightly annoying to go to TinyPic to upload pictures and screenshots.

If the host (ipvhost?) is setting those PHP limits, I guess you can't do that much. Anyway, people probably won't need to upload 8MB files much. Anything about 3MB is good...especially compared to 30KB. :p

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Yes, 30KB is annoying. Besides that is the maximum amount of storage a member can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.