Troubleshoot Some of my observations of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on my laptop

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Overheating, telemetry
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Blocked hosts, edited registry, gpedit, apps
I have some observations which I would to discuss

My laptop has a 3rd gen. i7 with dual graphics: intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT650M

1/ after 2 clean installs, I always experience my laptop getting overheated in any windows 10 versions
- in windows 10 version 1511, I fixed the overheating issue by installing the latest NVIDIA driver
- in v1709, installing the NVIDIA driver DIDN'T fix the problem. The laptop kept overheating even at 1-2% of CPU usage
- Installed of the latest drivers, updated the BIOS to the latest version DIDN'T fix
- I almost gave up. Finally, I installed Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) => the issue was fixed
However, it still feel it run warmer than v1511
Many people on different websites have also complained about the same issue but there was no proper solution

2/ After tweaking and disabling all possible telemetry with hosts file, regedit, gpedit.msc, OOshutup, WPD, some batch files I made and blocking with Comodo Firewall, I noticed
- In v1511, Comodo firewall blocked ~5 connections of svchosts.exe on port 80 to akamai and my ISP's IP addresses, per day
- in v1709, within 30 minutes, comodo firewall blocked 100 connections to random IPs including google (most), microsoft and my ISP on port 80, 443
=> this means the amount of telemetry is a lot more on FCU

any comment how to stop these telemetry?
I have added the hosts file from WindowsSpyBlocker (crazy-max) but I still got a lot of block messages

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Some domains and IP addresses cannot be blocked with the hosts file nor the firewall. The only way to block all the telemetry is in the routers firewall or with Pi-Hole.
the problem is the IP is changing all the times so it's not easy to block all of them
also I wonder why svchosts is sending something to my ISP's IPs :unsure: and how do they know my ISP

I read somewhere people said the later the windows version, the more telemetry M$ add
compared to v1511, there is very little telemetry compared to the FCU with the exact same tweaks

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If you haven't already, it may be worth taking a look at this privacy guide by Federico Dossena for reducing telemetry to a minimum in Windows 10 1709:
WINDOWS 10 PRIVACY GUIDE - FALL CREATORS UPDATE
I finished tweaking my windows using his guide. I have done almost everything written there + some personal tweaks

I think mine is a GPU issue because the area where the nvidia GPU places is quite hot and the fan doesn't stop running

I read some threads on nvidia forum, they also confirm windows 1511 gaming experience is by far better than creators -> spring creators. Less lag, no overheating

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.