Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Sony announced the new Playstation 4 yesterday in a show that provided us with information about what we can expect the company to deliver. Before we take a look at what that is, I’d like to point out that Sony did not show the Playstation 4 console during the show or reveal a final price. While that is certainly disappointing, Sony at least revealed information about the PS4 system architecture.

Sony moved away from the Cell cpu architecture of the Playstation 3 to the x86 architecture with an 8 core cpu. The most likely reason for that move is to drop production costs and maybe also to make it easier to bring PC games to the system (and PS4 games to PC).

What this also means, and this is without doubt a negative, is that PS3 games won’t run on Sony’s Playstation 4 on launch. That’s a big issue for current generation Playstation users who want to keep playing their large collection of games on the new system. While they could simply keep the PS3 and switch between both systems, it may not always a viable solution.

Sony’s PS4 console will have 8 Gigabytes of GDDR 5 RAM, local hard drive space (no mentioning of how many Gigabytes), and a 3D camera. Sony did not reveal many technical information about the gpu (graphics processing unit), only that it almost reaches 2 Teraflops of computational performance. Information about other hardware related features, if a disc drive is used, the connectivity features, how much power it consumes, have not been revealed during the announcement.

ps4controller.jpg

Read More Here

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
At least they showed the DualShock 4 controller, the source of your image is incorrect.

See Official images here (sign in) :
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.555266397831314.127011.185469781477646&type=1

"Featuring a light bar, touch pad, enhanced rumble, share button and a 3.5mm headphone jack"

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Earth said:
At least they showed the DualShock 4 controller, the source of your image is incorrect.

See Official images here (sign in) :
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.555266397831314.127011.185469781477646&type=1

"Featuring a light bar, touch pad, enhanced rumble, share button and a 3.5mm headphone jack"

That facebook link doesnt work

Official image is this one,which is pretty much the same as in the article with maybe a few small cosmetic changes.

controller01e1361450999.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, I figured when I tried in Incognito mode, must have custom view settings or a Like required.

As a PS3 owner, what do you think of the DS4 controller?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I like the design and the suspending of game sessions and resuming by using the power button.The share option which you can supposedly hand the controller to someone else and they can continue your game where you left off.I dont really fully understand how it is described though.I am really more interested in the console and the game play and graphics more than anything.I would like to know the price also.

I also wonder what they have done to prevent loading your own OS on it.It has been fairly easy with the last system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.