Sony's PlayStation 2 to be discontinued in Japan: Is this (finally) goodbye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Neowin.net said:
AZ6g9.jpg

Launched back in 2000, the successor to the original PlayStation featured a 295 MHz processor with 32 MB of memory. Nobody expected Sony's gaming console to break sales records with more than 155 million units sold around the world, but it seems the iconic console is heading for retirement. Sony announced that it has ceased shipping the PlayStation 2 in Japan, the country where the system was originally launched over 12 years ago.

Read more.

I currently still have the PS2 Slim and works a treat. :)

V

Vextor

Should have been discontinued ages ago, people should have to move forward, and companies shouldn't have to spend extra to support old hardware that is completely useless compared to the modern breed of games consoles.

That being said, if game developers wish to support it, they should go ahead, but the company shouldn't have to, as the PS3 should be what everyone is moving to.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Vextor said:
Should have been discontinued ages ago, people should have to move forward, and companies shouldn't have to spend extra to support old hardware that is completely useless compared to the modern breed of games consoles.

That being said, if game developers wish to support it, they should go ahead, but the company shouldn't have to, as the PS3 should be what everyone is moving to.

Kinda hard to discontinue a product that is still making your company a lot in sales. I still know people that are still buying it and games for it.
I guess its finally slowing down to the point Sony is no longer making a profit anymore.

I still have my PS2 slim and still play it to this day. However last time I got a game for it was almost two years ago.
Still working like a charm :D

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
I still have my PS2 slim and still play it to this day. However last time I got a game for it was almost two years ago.

That is the exact same thing for me. :)

P

Plexx

3link9 said:

Joining the club but I have a PS2 (not the slim one). Thing is I bought in Asia so I can play both PAL and NTSC games (US and Japanese along with EU). Best of both worlds so I still have plenty of RPG and Action games released in JP and US that never made it to EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.