App Review Sophos Home Premium beta - Review and test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Hello everyone!
Sophos released their new product Sophos Home Premium today. It looks very interesting looking at the website, so I decided to make my own quick video test about it. It is not a very in-depth review, but I think it gives a little insight on what the program offers. I tested the software against two recent malware packs from the malware hub.
Let me know what you think about it. Enjoy! :)

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
@kev216
Thanks for the video, I would be careful though, with it being in Beta like this if Sophos sees this they could suspend your sophos acct and force a take down.
I'm a happy Sophos user and this video is intended as a little presentation about this new product and a kind of feedback, definitely not to say bad words about Sophos, but if they find it necessary to delete the video, they can always contact me and I'll remove the video without much discussion.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I'm a happy Sophos user and this video is intended as a little presentation about this new product and a kind of feedback, definitely not to say bad words about Sophos, but if they find it necessary to delete the video, they can always contact me and I'll remove the video without much discussion.
And you know brother I don't speak for them, I am just saying be careful, when in beta companies like
Sophos can be touchy ;)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The fact that you can receive an email when malware or malicious activity is detected is really nice. It'd be ideal for myself or anyone who manages security for their family and/or friends; I'd be able to know and respond immidiately to any possible infection.
Even just being able to call them and tell them not to use online banking or not to log into any accounts until I'm able to deal with it could save them so much hassle.

Last edited:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
What would be cool as well is if they could implement a way just like Norton products adding Norton power eraser as an option after a scan for a secondary scanner, you could have hitmanpro ready as a back up just like it is with hitmanpro.alert.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I like it

If going the paid route this would be a consideration for me

But I don't think they should price it the same as other premium products right from the start.

Because I don't think there is anything here to win over a KTS, BTS, Norton etc subscriber.
I agree. I'm back using KIS and not a chance I'd drop it for this.

Edit to add: Thank you very much for the review, sorry I forgot to thank you initially.

Last edited:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks kev216 for first time try this is a very well put together review well done my friend! Allthough I am not a sophos fan. I do not like the GUI at all when scanning it uses the hmp gui with a different colour sceme. The devellopment team could do a much better job on that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.