Advice Request Sophos Home Premium is now on my main PC!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Have you used SHP before?

• Yes, but I no longer use it

• No, I have never used it

• Yes, and I am still using it

• No, but I plan to try it soon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Try Chrome?

I'm on a 500/500Mbps symmetrical so I don't notice speed degradation with much of anything.

Why try Chrome?
I was using KIS on the same PC and had no issue regarding the browsing speed. I am going to chat with support tomorrow and see what they'll say.
I will keep the post updated.

Reactions: AtlBo

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I have contacted Sophos support and they have confirmed that the slow down is caused by the product cache system files and connections. They asked me if the issue persists, I should contact them again and provide them with screenshots

Reactions: AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I have contacted Sophos support and they have confirmed that the slow down is caused by the product cache system files and connections. They asked me if the issue persists, I should contact them again and provide them with screenshots

See the thing is, on your slow connection it might take days to categorize and cache everything. Someone with broadband (25Mbps or higher) this might take a few hours. Someone with nice speedy connections? Cached almost immediately.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Day 2 and I still feel SHP impact on my system. I started to miss KIS application control and the settings page LOL. SHP makes you feel a total idiot just when you look at the main GUI. There is nothing there.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have reported this issue to sophos customer support now.

I think im gonna test this product again tomorrow, with comodo firewall
And heres the answer from customer support. @Al-Faqir
sophos1.png
sophos2.png
sophos3.png

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thank you very much for the good news! I love Vivaldi and guess what. Today when I launched Vivaldi I got the very same notification I receive when I launch Firefox and Edge.
I just would like to add that the system impact is much lesser after few days but, with no doubt, KIS is very much lighter at least on my system.
I tried it for few days, full scan + few days of time to settle down and it was taking as much memory than on first day still.

Hitman pro is from sophos also, but i feel like its lacking something compared to malwarebytes, zemana etc.

Sophos home premium is nice software, i like the dashboard and free version features, also with current tech we have it shouldnt be problem to run it

If you compare it to kis, kis will probably win yeah.

But if you compare sophos home premium free into KFA19, it will be even/ tie game

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thank you very much for the good news! I love Vivaldi and guess what. Today when I launched Vivaldi I got the very same notification I receive when I launch Firefox and Edge.
I just would like to add that the system impact is much lesser after few days but, with no doubt, KIS is very much lighter at least on my system.

SHP will continue to 'settle'. Most of us that run SHP find that at some point, it becomes extremely lightweight feeling, and this has improved with the latest builds as well. I suspect with your slow connection it may never be as speedy as everyone else though, or it may take a few weeks to fully validate and cache.

Interestingly, I've always felt KIS is heavy, even on my Ryzen boxes, KIS eventually starts to make them feel sluggish. SHP I've not experienced this.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I tried it for few days, full scan + few days of time to settle down and it was taking as much memory than on first day still.

Hitman pro is from sophos also, but i feel like its lacking something compared to malwarebytes, zemana etc.

Sophos home premium is nice software, i like the dashboard and free version features, also with current tech we have it shouldnt be problem to run it

If you compare it to kis, kis will probably win yeah.

But if you compare sophos home premium free into KFA19, it will be even/ tie game

Well to be honest, I feel more secure running KIS. Kaspersky offers very useful features like the Application Control and KSN reputation which is similar to Norton Insight. SHP is very great and it is promising but it is still quite heavy for a modern security product. KIS and Eset are two of the lightest products I have run ever.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
SHP will continue to 'settle'. Most of us that run SHP find that at some point, it becomes extremely lightweight feeling, and this has improved with the latest builds as well. I suspect with your slow connection it may never be as speedy as everyone else though, or it may take a few weeks to fully validate and cache.

Interestingly, I've always felt KIS is heavy, even on my Ryzen boxes, KIS eventually starts to make them feel sluggish. SHP I've not experienced this.

The 4 Mbps connection is just a temporary state. I will increase it to 24 Mbps next month once I settle. Anyway, SPH is a very effective product which is very hard to give away. I like it and believe me if it was another product I would have uninstalled it from the very first moment. Their support is friendly and I started to get used to the online dashboard. Scanning speed is excellent. I might restore my system but I will definitely reinstall SHP when I get the 24 Mbps connection set up. Thank you again @ForgottenSeer 58943

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.