Advice Request Sophos Home Premium is now on my main PC!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Have you used SHP before?

• Yes, but I no longer use it

• No, I have never used it

• Yes, and I am still using it

• No, but I plan to try it soon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I tried it for few days, full scan + few days of time to settle down and it was taking as much memory than on first day still.

Hitman pro is from sophos also, but i feel like its lacking something compared to malwarebytes, zemana etc.

Sophos home premium is nice software, i like the dashboard and free version features, also with current tech we have it shouldnt be problem to run it

If you compare it to kis, kis will probably win yeah.

But if you compare sophos home premium free into KFA19, it will be even/ tie game
View attachment 194404

View attachment 194405

The process "Performs virus scanning and disinfection" was using up to 400 MBs of Ram yesterday.

View attachment 194406

Resources consumption is nearly the half now of what it was yesterday (400 MBs of ram e.g.)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

That was what I was experiencing until yesterday. Today everything is normal and the system is very responsive.

Your persistence paid off. What SHP has to do is cache everything as I noted. Once it's cached then it's smooth as silk and SPEEDY. Also, it appears it was needing to serve some updates to you in the background. Those updated modules are the ones everyone is on that claims SHP is lightweight.

I assure you, once fully cached, and fully updated, after that reboot most people will be impressed at how lightweight it becomes!

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Would it be worth testing it for a week? Sophos home premium 'FREE'...seems free doesnt have advanced real time protection at all
Free version has signatures, web protection, PUP protection and some behaviour blocking in the form of file reputation and fully automatic hips that blocks processes with suspicious behaviour.
The more advanced stuff is in the premium version.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Free version has signatures, web protection, PUP protection and some behaviour blocking in the form of file reputation and fully automatic hips that blocks processes with suspicious behaviour.
Doesnt sound too bad to be free product, i had it installed two days max... removed due high ram usage, even it doesnt matter at all. Sly said it will settle down, just needs bit of time, but i rushed and uninstalled.

Maybe i give it a week, to see does the constant memory scanning stops and it settles down completely

Reactions: AtlBo and Al-Faqir

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Doesnt sound too bad to be free product, i had it installed two days max... removed due high ram usage, even it doesnt matter at all. Sly said it will settle down, just needs bit of time, but i rushed and uninstalled.

Maybe i give it a week, to see does the constant memory scanning stops and it settles down completely
If I have to choose between two free products that consume a lot of ram, and without options I will choose Bitdefender free. Better virus signatures and very good BB for free product. Is my personal opinion.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If I have to choose between two free products that consume a lot of ram, and without options I will choose Bitdefender free. Better virus signatures and very good BB for free product. Is my personal opinion.
I would just go kfa over bd, What makes sophos different is dashboard, web filtering is nice addition and rest stated above @kev216 Never tried bitdefender on win10 yet, so thanks for suggestion its nice software aswell

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
@Al-Faqir Glad to hear that it has worked out for you! Once it caches everything, its light as a feather IMO!
Your persistence paid off. What SHP has to do is cache everything as I noted. Once it's cached then it's smooth as silk and SPEEDY. Also, it appears it was needing to serve some updates to you in the background. Those updated modules are the ones everyone is on that claims SHP is lightweight.

I assure you, once fully cached, and fully updated, after that reboot most people will be impressed at how lightweight it becomes!

Indeed it is very light! Navigating through folders is much fast. KIS caused unnoticeable delay. I like SHP very much.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018

The free version of Sophos should be more efficient than WD. I am so glad that I had received a free 1-year subscription for trying the beta.

The ram thing made me go mad and the system was very heavy and unresponsive. After days, you will not notice Sophos is running.

If I am going to install BD some day, which I would never do, Bitdefender has to pay me for that. One of the worst, if not the worst, products I have ever tried. Just remembering how buggy it was makes me sick. It might have become better but I can't forgive the pain it caused LOL.

I would just go kfa over bd, What makes sophos different is dashboard, web filtering is nice addition and rest stated above @kev216 Never tried bitdefender on win10 yet, so thanks for suggestion its nice software aswell

Personally, If I am going to install a free antivirus, I would only go for Sophos. KFA seems good for the members here are praising it. The paid version of Kaspersky is by no doubt much better than the free one.

KFA is one perfect free product. Not use many ram and have system watcher. My comment was about products that consume a lot of ram and without options.

I don't mind if the product consumes much ram but it should not cause any system slowdowns. KIS is very light and so is Sophos (after some painful days).

Reactions: AtlBo and stefanos

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The free version of Sophos should be more efficient than WD. I am so glad that I had received a free 1-year subscription for trying the beta.

The ram thing made me go mad and the system was very heavy and unresponsive. After days, you will not notice Sophos is running.

If I am going to install BD some day, which I would never do, Bitdefender has to pay me for that. One of the worst, if not the worst, products I have ever tried. Just remembering how buggy it was makes me sick. It might have become better but I can't forgive the pain it caused LOL.

Personally, If I am going to install a free antivirus, I would only go for Sophos. KFA seems good for the members here are praising it. The paid version of Kaspersky is by no doubt much better than the free one.

I don't mind if the product consumes much ram but it should not cause any system slowdowns. KIS is very light and so is Sophos (after some painful days).
Yes i respect your opinion. But for me is important the results. And SHP after 2, 3 tests from Evjls Rain is not good. The free version is very weak for me. The rest is what you like or what i like

Reactions: Al-Faqir and AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Yes i respect your opinion. But for me is important the results. And SHP after 2, 3 tests from Evjls Rain is not good. The free version is very weak for me. The rest is what you like or what i like

Tossing a pack of malware at SHP on a local machine neglects some of the most important protections it offers. Under real-world conditions, SHP should provide unprecedented protection. Largely because of it's robust exploit protection, strong web filtration database and ridiculously good heuristic web evaluation technology. Even so, one of my favorite combos is SHP+VS/OSA+Heimdal. Very speedy, lightweight, and I'd put that combo up against any malware execution test on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.