Advice Request Sophos Home Premium is now on my main PC!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Have you used SHP before?

• Yes, but I no longer use it

• No, I have never used it

• Yes, and I am still using it

• No, but I plan to try it soon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Tossing a pack of malware at SHP on a local machine neglects some of the most important protections it offers. Under real-world conditions, SHP should provide unprecedented protection. Largely because of it's robust exploit protection, strong web filtration database and ridiculously good heuristic web evaluation technology. Even so, one of my favorite combos is SHP+VS/OSA+Heimdal. Very speedy, lightweight, and I'd put that combo up against any malware execution test on the planet.
Agree with you. But my opinion is not for combo. I can't compare SHP with KIS or Bitdefender internet security. And immunet +VS/OSA+Heimdal sure is secure

Last edited:
Reactions: Al-Faqir
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Me and Immunet have nothing in common. Wrong thread? :D Weather is warm in my city too lul
lejupielāde.png

Reactions: stefanos

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Web filtering doest seem to work on waterfox either, there is nothing on dashboard about it, using chrome as mainbrowser anyways

I did the guide that they sent me from sophos to see wich browsers are protected, but on free version that thing doesnt seem to exist at all. Im not sure should i be disappoint or not

Last edited:

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Web filtering doest seem to work on waterfox either, there is nothing on dashboard about it, using chrome as mainbrowser anyways

I did the guide that they sent me from sophos to see wich browsers are protected, but on free version that thing doesnt seem to exist at all. Im not sure should i be disappoint or not

That was my concern in the first place. If the browser is not supported, Sophos should scan all network traffic.

Reactions: Moonhorse
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Sophos home does not detect that link at all. It passes all the five other tests.
Interesting! I tried it too and it didn't flag it. I fired off a support request to Sophos to get their take on the matter. I'll post a reply once I hear back from them.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Sophos home does not detect that link at all. It passes all the five other tests.
Feature Settings Check – Phishing Page – AMTSO is currently detected by Sophos enterprise solutions.
It's been reported multiple times to include it's detection for Sophos Home users too.

Yes, right now Web Protection for Vivaldi and Waterfox are not working. Dev team are investigating this as we speak. Web protection should be working for both browsers, same as for Free and Premium users. Vivaldi and Waterfox was very recently added to exploit-protected app list (premium feature) and they have appearently broke Web protection & Download reputation check for both browsers. (Vivaldi is built on Opera's engine and Waterfox on Firefox), but Web protection in Opera and Firefox is working. Thanks for reporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I got a reply from Sophos in regards to the AMTSO phishing test page.

"The Phishing test failed because we do not do SSL inspection . We check the CN name of the website which is amtso*org which is a valid site"

So it seems like that's the reason why SH/SHP doesn't flag it. It could also be very well that their enterprise offerings do SSL inspection hence why they flag it. I could swear that the test did work for me a while back, but stopped working only recently. It could very well be that when I tested it way back it the test page was only http and not https like it is now, unless it was always https and I'm just going crazy :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I have been using SHP for a while and I have experienced some issues:

1- I have got my hands on "Python Ransomware" sample and it is detected by nearly all vendors (VirusTotal indicated that) including Sophos. I unzipped the sample and scanned it with SHP right-click scan and it stated the files is clean! I did a full-system scan (Clean) with SHP and it detected the sample! The question is what are the differences between the two scan. Both have access to cloud and signatures? I don't know. I have contacted Sophos support and waiting for their response in that regard.

2- I am experiencing an issue with the online Dashboard: my device is not shown there, so I can't configure Sophos.

3- Sometimes the web protection stops working; I have a list of malicious links detected by Sophos. Sometimes Sophos does not detect any of them

4- The latest version of Firefox seems to be unsupported by SHP. Sometimes the cloloured squares and keystroke encryption does not appear.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have been using SHP for a while and I have experienced some issues:

1- I have got my hands on "Python Ransomware" sample and it is detected by nearly all vendors (VirusTotal indicated that) including Sophos. I unzipped the sample and scanned it with SHP right-click scan and it stated the files is clean! I did a full-system scan (Clean) with SHP and it detected the sample! The question is what are the differences between the two scan. Both have access to cloud and signatures? I don't know. I have contacted Sophos support and waiting for their response in that regard.

2- I am experiencing an issue with the online Dashboard: my device is not shown there, so I can't configure Sophos.

3- Sometimes the web protection stops working; I have a list of malicious links detected by Sophos. Sometimes Sophos does not detect any of them

4- The latest version of Firefox seems to be unsupported by SHP. Sometimes the cloloured squares and keystroke encryption does not appear.
Those are the problems i had during i had sophos installed, pretty much been problem for a long time.

Whenever they answer from sophos, post the results, its pretty interesting case

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I still have not received a response from Sophos support. Anyway, the device won't show on the online dashboard if you access the dashboard from the same device Sophos installed on. I access my account from my iPhone and my device is shown there.
Vivaldi 2 seems to be unsupported by Sophos.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I still have not received a response from Sophos support. Anyway, the device won't show on the online dashboard if you access the dashboard from the same device Sophos installed on. I access my account from my iPhone and my device is shown there.
Vivaldi 2 seems to be unsupported by Sophos.
When i contacted them during summer ( you remember) they claimed vivaldi is supported. I dont know whats happening on this company anymore:unsure:

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.