Advice Request Sophos Home Premium - Lack of reviews, test scores

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
But only works on chrome / firefox + few others

with vivaldi its lotto whenever it works or not

In my opinion the free version isnt worthy, paid does. But for that price you can get pretty much any other av
I was talking about the paid one and I really believe it's not worth it unless we get it for $0
it's not better than KFA in all aspects
HMPA module cases system instability for many users
good webfilter can't compensate for its weakneases

it's a "beta" final product

it's the only well-known product in 2018 which lets ransomwares encrypt its files and disable the AV completely

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I was talking about the paid one and I really believe it's not worth it unless we get it for $0
it's not better than KFA in all aspects
HMPA module cases system instability for mant users
good webfilter can't compensate for its weakneases

it's a "beta" final product
seems SHP is sale for 28$, for the same price you can get hitmanpro.Alert , wich is from sophos too

HitmanPro.Alert Ransomware Scanner, Anti-Exploit Tool | Download HMP.Alert with CryptoGuard | hitmanpro.com

but the rewievs were kinda bad for this sw too

But i agree with this reality: KFA (free) > sophos (paid) , sounds stupid to waste money on it unless youre loyal fan of sophos products

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
according to many many tests here, it has always been bad
BB is not strong, exploit protection is hit-and-miss, not great signatures
poor ransomware protection
no self-defense module

web filter is really good

Doesn’t interceptX (or the parts of InterceptX SHP has) compensate for the lack of good signatures? Eg Cylance has no signatures but it has good detection rates.

Also how does the web filter compare to Google Safe Browsing?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Doesn’t interceptX (or the parts of InterceptX SHP has) compensate for the lack of good signatures? Eg Cylance has no signatures but it has good detection rates.

Also how does the web filter compare to Google Safe Browsing?

SHP doesn't have Intercept-X, if it did then this conversation may be different. As it is, SHP has a bit older HMP-A modules shoe-horned into the normal Sophos product, and as noted, HMP-A is known to cause system issues for some people. HMP-A development appears to have languished since acquisition by Sophos.

The web filter module is one of the best-in-class, and offers deep heuristic scanning of all pages. It's right up there with Kaspersky and Fortinet in it's capabilities at sniffing out malicious websites or 80/443 side loads in browsers. That's about it these days for it. Also, development is glacially slow now on it.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
SHP doesn't have Intercept-X, if it did then this conversation may be different. As it is, SHP has a bit older HMP-A modules shoe-horned into the normal Sophos product, and as noted, HMP-A is known to cause system issues for some people. HMP-A development appears to have languished since acquisition by Sophos.

The web filter module is one of the best-in-class, and offers deep heuristic scanning of all pages. It's right up there with Kaspersky and Fortinet in it's capabilities at sniffing out malicious websites or 80/443 side loads in browsers. That's about it these days for it. Also, development is glacially slow now on it.

If they plan to add ML very soon then ok but if not, with Defender doing so well in independent tests there’s little reason to pay for a signature based product whose signatures are probably worse than Defender’s

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018

I have a small question @ForgottenSeer 58943 if you don't mind for sure. Now let's say that the deep heuristic offered by SHP's web filter caught a piece of malware, if you download the same piece of malware that was detected by the web filter but with web filter disabled this time, it might cause infection if it was not detected by other components. My question is why deep heuristic detentions not added to the cloud for example to avoid other complications?

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I’m wondering how much their intercept X endpoint solution costs, I’m doing home use but there’s no point in SHP without ML, if intercept X endpoint is priced reasonably then ok, else I’ll switch back to Defender

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.