App Review Sophos Home Premium Review [TPSC]

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

While I am a fan of Sophos, I am not a huge fan of Leo's tests. I watched the video and I really wish he would be more open with his malware samples. From what I could see, he didn't talk about them too much other than saying that he has 2 folders of malware... Ok, what kind of malware, how old, etc... I may have missed it, but I don't think he even opened the folders during the video, so we just have to take his word on these samples.

I would take any of his tests with a HUGE grain of salt. He's not being very open about his samples, he definitely has bias towards products he likes/dislikes and if he has any moral ethical traits in him, he needs to state at the beginning of each video that he works for a competitor, in this case "Emsisoft". Don't get me wrong, I love Emsisoft and I am by no means saying that they are behind his videos. All I am saying that if you work for a competitor and are testing your competitor's products, you need to make this explicitly clear on every one of your videos, it's only morally and ethically right.

In terms of SHP, would anyone here that participate in the HUB be willing to test the new SHP in the HUB? :)(y)

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
While I am a fan of Sophos, I am not a huge fan of Leo's tests. I watched the video and I really wish he would be more open with his malware samples. From what I could see, he didn't talk about them too much other than saying that he has 2 folders of malware... Ok, what kind of malware, how old, etc... I may have missed it, but I don't think he even opened the folders during the video, so we just have to take his word on these samples.

I would take any of his tests with a HUGE grain of salt. He's not being very open about his samples, he definitely has bias towards products he likes/dislikes and if he has any moral ethical traits in him, he needs to state at the beginning of each video that he works for a competitor, in this case "Emsisoft". Don't get me wrong, I love Emsisoft and I am by no means saying that they are behind his videos. All I am saying that if you work for a competitor and are testing your competitor's products, you need to make this explicitly clear on every one of your videos, it's only morally and ethically right.

In terms of SHP, would anyone here that participate in the HUB be willing to test the new SHP in the HUB? :)(y)

Even more than that, is Sophos finally going to participate in independent lab testing ?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

All I know is nothing scores that well against fresh malware. Couple of stale folders there, I'm just saying..

Well we really don't know what was in those folders, nor do we know how old they are, hence why I'm not a fan of his tests, but it doesn't mean it can't do a good job. I am hoping someone will test it in the HUB soon so we can get a bigger picture and I am hoping that Sophos will start participating in other tests. I was talking to a previous member here during the beta and he mentioned that we was testing fresh samples from Hybrid Analysis for over an hour and nothing got past it, so I guess we have to wait and see as time goes on. From what I hear the cloud "ML" aspect has been working well for them.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Well we really don't know what was in those folders, nor do we know how old they are, but doesn't mean it can't do a good job. I am hoping someone will test it in the HUB soon so we can get a bigger picture and I am hoping that Sophos will start participating in other tests. I was talking to a previous member here during the beta and he mentioned that we was testing fresh samples from Hybrid Analysis for over an hour and nothing got past it, so I guess we have to wait and see as time goes on. From what I hear the cloud "ML" aspect has been working well for them.
I'll give you that Sophos is smart and capable but c'mon lol

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

It feels very lightweight now as well. Reinstalled it on a machine a couple days ago.

Ya they've really worked on the performance aspect. I really haven't noticed any impact on the system or web browsing with the new version. They still have a lot of processes running, but I am hoping that one day they will tame that a little. Adding all the processes together brings it in at approximately 160mb, which isn't too bad. (y)

It did well by Neil J. Rubenking Sophos Home Premium
That said, perhaps not 99.9% well..

There's no such thing as a perfect product, every product will have up's and downs and quite frankly will depend on the sample set used during that particular test. Malware testing in general should always be taken with a grain of salt anyways. Keep in mind though that test you referenced is the older version of SHP, this thread and the interest in general has to do with the new 2.0 version which includes a "ML" component, as well as more advanced features from HMPA/Intercept X. So far TPSC is the only one to run a test on the new version, so hopefully we will see more tests done on 2.0 very soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.