Advice Request Sophos Home Premium - Wrong letters when I type with my keyboard

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm trying SHP since 3 days and I just noticed that when I type with my keyboard I get wrong letters !
For exemple, typing "SOPHOS" on Cortana and I get "YD5DXK" !!!
I also encounter the same problem on a site when I want to enter my password, and when I want to save and name a file after using screenshot.
Can you help me ?
Thanks in advance.
BF92RVZE.PNG

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
it's normal for anti-keylogger softwares
they mess up with typing softwares
they are useful for Latin words only. Other languages which have different letters might have problems

you should disable this function in order to type in your language. Same for my language

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
it's normal for anti-keylogger softwares
they mess up with typing softwares
they are useful for Latin words only. Other languages which have different letters might have problems

you should disable this function in order to type in your language. Same for my language
Hello @Evjl's Rain
Thanks.
I'm typing in French (a Latin language) and I have also installed SHP on a second PC and I did not have the same problem...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello @Evjl's Rain
Thanks.
I'm typing in French (a Latin language) and I have also installed SHP on a second PC and I did not have the same problem...
but there are some letters not in english words so there might be issue
anti-keylogger should be enabled only when you type your bank account and password

hitmanpro.alert uses newer version than itself in SHP so there can be new bugs
IMO, HMP.A does more harm and more incompatibility issues than what it claims to protect your PC

It caused too many headaches for me in 1 week of using it although I won 1-year license giveaway. I put it to my banned product list

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
There was an issue with HMP.Alert with ESET (english) recently (among other things) which has been fixed, from the info on Wilders they are doing a full revamp on the Key Encryption which maybe will filter down to the Sophos product shortly?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I found the key encryption issues depended completely on the software. In browsers there were no issues, except when you went to save a file. Then you had to save it with some garbage that it typed and then change the name of the file after it was saved.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

HMP-A really doesn't seem to be getting any development any longer. June was the last update, that is quite long.

I wonder if they aren't devoting much resources to it since Sophos bought them and are working more towards integrating the tech into their other offerings?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
HMP-A really doesn't seem to be getting any development any longer. June was the last update, that is quite long.

I wonder if they aren't devoting much resources to it since Sophos bought them and are working more towards integrating the tech into their other offerings?
Mine has updated 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks along with a new section in 'Risk Reduction' - 'Process Protection' (from memory) there is some info on Wilders regarding this - HMP.Alert can be a pain at times but most of the times esp recently causes me few if any problems - Of course its always personal choice.
Edited:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I contacted again SOPHOS support and got this answer:

"Thank you for contacting Sophos Home support.
I understand you are experiencing an issue where multiple fields are having random characters entered into them when you try to type something else. I would be happy to assist with this.
The problem you are experiencing is a known issue, which we are currently looking into:
The following page will go over this issue, and a couple of different steps to resolve it:
While I do not have an exact time frame for when this will be resolved, the developers are aware of the issue and working on a solution."

So if my understanding is good, the only solution is to disable the keylogger protection:( I am really disappointed:(
Accordingly I am now thinking to request a refund of my subscription, because when I buy a software or anything else, it's not to have only the possibility of a partial use.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Do you know if the last update of SOPHOS home have solved this issue with the keystrokes encryption ?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks @Cortex
SOPHOS home does not use the latest version of HMP.A but I don't know if the current version on SOPHOS is OK or not ?
Afaik the HMPA in SHP is a different version than the separate HPMA. SHP uses HMPA technology, but they are on completely different build cycles. The separate HMPA will always have the newer updates compared to SHP, but as time goes on and new major versions of SHP are released, my guess is that they may add some of the newer updates from HMPA.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks @Cortex
SOPHOS home does not use the latest version of HMP.A but I don't know if the current version on SOPHOS is OK or not ?
I don't know if it's okay to use or not but when I see HMPA integrated into HMPA, I immediately quit the product. HMPA's engine gave me headaches because it creates a lot of bugs while using other apps and makes them malfunction or slower
not sure if Sophos has added self-protection module or it is still not present
still feel like SHP is an incomplete product compare to other well-known suites

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I don't know if it's okay to use or not but when I see HMPA integrated into HMPA, I immediately quit the product. HMPA's engine gave me headaches because it creates a lot of bugs while using other apps and makes them malfunction or slower
not sure if Sophos has added self-protection module or it is still not present
still feel like SHP is an incomplete product compare to other well-known suites

They have added tamper protection in the current v2. They also added some more HMPA features, quarantine and their "M/L" cloud component. It has improved, but still struggles with scripting malware, but that can be remedied by running either VS, OSA, or syshardener along side it. No mention of V3 yet, so we will have to wait and see what V3 will bring.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Hello

Sophos solved the issue with Firefox. But it is not solved for some games and Windows apps. I opened a new call a week ago. They asked some additional information and debug logs. All information was send to Sophos second support line. The will inform me if they get an update from the developers.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
They have added tamper protection in the current v2. They also added some more HMPA features, quarantine and their "M/L" cloud component. It has improved, but still struggles with scripting malware, but that can be remedied by running either VS, OSA, or syshardener along side it. No mention of V3 yet, so we will have to wait and see what V3 will bring.
I still don't think it's any better than Kaspersky Free. It just has better anti-exploit protection than Kaspersky. At least KSCF has post-exploit protection and network attack protection + much much better BB afaik
SHP's BB is not good enough. The ML is very good but only support .exe extension if I'm not mistaken

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.