Advice Request Sophos Home Premium - Wrong letters when I type with my keyboard

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I still don't think it's any better than Kaspersky Free. It just has better anti-exploit protection than Kaspersky. At least KSCF has post-exploit protection and network attack protection + much much better BB afaik
SHP's BB is not good enough. The ML is very good but only support .exe extension if I'm not mistaken

Yes you are correct.

It is getting better, but still needs some work, but it's getting there IMHO. I am curious as to what V3 will bring. Sophos does have some very capable technology on their enterprise stuff, so hopefully more of that will trickle down in to SHP.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I also remember@ oldschool saying few months ago that he felt it was very heavy.

This is true. I didn't like it compared to when I used the old Sophos Free (ca. 2017/early 18), however the newly-named InterceptX for Android seems pretty good and not bad with my small battery. Not much different performance-wise than BD Free Android.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I tried a trial of Sophos home,just seemed too much of a set it and forget it program for my liking and I could not get there firewall going after a real run around with non stop sign ins.Maybe in the future...

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Btw, how does Sophos Home Premium performs on your PC? I tried it last month and it was the heaviest AV I ever installed. Everything was slow to respond including a simple right click on desktop. I was extremely surprised. I also remember oldschool saying few months ago that he felt it was very heavy.
I found that after running it for a couple days it settled down. Noticed no difference from Defender after that. Someone said something about it needing to create a cache, no idea if that’s legitimate or not. But, I did notice the performance was greatly improved after about 48 hours. That’s on a desktop i7 though.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello

Sophos solved the issue with Firefox. But it is not solved for some games and Windows apps. I opened a new call a week ago. They asked some additional information and debug logs. All information was send to Sophos second support line. The will inform me if they get an update from the developers.
Hello, the problem is solved on my PC.

B

BVLon

You are saying that Kaspersky is better than Sophos, but I don’t agree too much. If we are talking about bells, whistles, useless settings, questionable reputation and bloatware tools that you will hardly ever use, than Kaspersky, Bitdefender and McAfee are absolutely unbeatable. But if you are talking about protection that just gets the job done.... I’ll go with Sophos any day. They are not for a slow PC tho and they do need to fix some bugs. They are kinda new to the home market so they need time.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
- Sophos causing system slow downs, at least for a couple of days...
- Kaspersky can be tweaked for better performance after installation!

Kaspersky (KIS) offering better protection overall compared to Sophos Home Premium

B

BVLon

- Sophos causing system slow downs, at least for a couple of days...
- Kaspersky can be tweaked for better performance after installation!

Kaspersky (KIS) offering better protection overall compared to Sophos Home Premium
Sophos does not cause any slowdowns, in fact Sophos is one of the lightest I've seen. Memory consumption is extremely high, especially for a program that does not burst with functions and modules. However, because it keeps so much code in the memory (that's my guess), its CPU and disk operations are reduced. Having many processes allows Sophos to be stable and increases its self-protection efficacy. Sophos architecture is the same like McAfee, where the software is a combination of many autonomous programs. I am not a fan of it, but its got its benefits. McAfee also keeps quite a lot of code in memory and its been deemed by users and testing organizations to be light.

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Sophos does not cause any slowdowns, in fact Sophos is one of the lightest I've seen. Memory consumption is extremely high, especially for a program that does not burst with functions and modules. However, because it keeps so much code in the memory (that's my guess), its CPU and disk operations are reduced. Having many processes allows Sophos to be stable and increases its self-protection efficacy. Sophos architecture is the same like McAfee, where the software is a combination of many autonomous programs. I am not a fan of it, but its got its benefits. McAfee also keeps quite a lot of code in memory and its been deemed by users and testing organizations to be light.
I just wrote "Sophos causing system slow downs, at least for a couple of days..." that meant it's only heavier on system impact during the first days!

You can claiming whatever you want but that isn't always the truth, it's may just your opinion or better said your own experience...

Every system is different on hardware and even more every user feeling different than others, so everyone just agree or disagree ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.