App Review Sophos home prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Wow, having to remove those one by one looks to be a big pain in the arse,
why would they do that ?
The protection of Sophos Home really needs some work imho.
Notice that HMP did a better job cleaning up, lol

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for the review, but they keep the best technology for the paid version.
But in this way, they can't compete with other free products like Avast, Avira, etc that offer better efficiency.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Sophos did great at detecting both known and zero-day samples. Looks like they improved that.
Now if they make an option to delete all of the them at once instead of one by one clicking them and fix issues with malware that can not be removed and the rather slow scan speed, I might switch to Sophos again.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Sophos did great at detecting both known and zero-day samples. Looks like they improved that.
Now if they make an option to delete all of the them at once instead of one by one clicking them and fix issues with malware that can not be removed and the rather slow scan speed, I might switch to Sophos again.

Yes, hopefully they will fix it :)

and thanks everyone!
Happy sunday

W

Wave

In my honest opinion it seems Sophos are downgrading their product to the past, they can't have basic and simple features such as handling multiple alerts at once with multi-threading or at least doing them one by one automatically so the user doesn't have to sit through waiting for it for every individual alert?

Also, I keep noticing some security software fails to remove a threat, even though they haven't actually been executed. The software fails to remove a static, inactive file... It is actually really embarrassing. I assume it fails because it bases whether it can clean or not based on the threat name, but it shouldn't have a problem if there is no active infection related to the detected sample. Sophos isn't the only one, I've seen other products with similar behaviour and it's just disappointing.

Sophos should add a local master-password so the administrator can make changes to the settings if the internet connection is disabled; not everyone can be connected 24/7 and they may need to make changes while they are disconnected... I cannot even imagine how painful it would be to have FP detection's and to be unable to change the settings while disconnected. I can understand why they did it (improved security) but if someone can get remote code execution into their product then they can bypass those mechanisms anyway, and nothing is full-proof, so honestly it just isn't necessary. Not to mention that now anyone who can hack into your online account to Sophos can remotely alter your settings, as opposed to directly needing to infect you beforehand to do it from your system itself. So the web feature has negatives just as much as the positives and honestly I cannot decide which outweighs the other.

Hopefully the Sophos team see this post and actually take the points I've mentioned on-board and into consideration; they need a clean-up to improve their product further, hopefully this will happen soon. They have so much potential if they just fix up the little things...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Also, I keep noticing some security software fails to remove a threat, even though they haven't actually been executed. The software fails to remove a static, inactive file... It is actually really embarrassing.
I agree, and I think much of it is that they are in the business of Security, and focus very little
on the art of uninstallation just look at the mess they leave uninstalling themselves let alone malware.
I think they need to seek out Revo, or IObit and do some homework, they would benefit
from the experience greatly.

W

Wave

I agree, and I think much of it is that they are in the business of Security, and focus very little
on the art of uninstallation just look at the mess they leave uninstalling themselves.
I think they need to seek out Revo, or IObit and do some homework, they would benefit
from the experience greatly.
Speaking about businesses, I have noticed Sophos is very common in the UK in schools/colleges... My old school used them also on both the host systems and on the servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.