Not open for further replies.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I'm not sure what this means... :unsure:
It means that requires 2 NIC's(Network Interface Cards) like realtek, broadcom, Intel, Ralink, Qualcomm
Newer mother boards have these equipped however.
I did try to make it in single NIC,,years before, but installation fails at the middle.so may be that's mandatory

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
It means that requires 2 NIC's(Network Interface Cards) like realtek, broadcom, Intel, Ralink, Qualcomm
I did try to make it in single NIC,,years before, but installation fails at the middle.so may be that's mandatory

Yet it is so, dual lan or two slots: (in-net 1 out-net 2), nobody said otherwise. all the people arent ignorant's.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

From what I read it can be picky with NIC's It may not always work with all NIC chipsets, so if one wants to have a Sophos Firewall I would be sure to read some posts from their forum to see what hardware works and what hardware doesn't. From what I've read a lot of the MB NICs on newer MB''s (consumer MBs) don't always work well, most buy a separate NIC card (either a dual or quad NIC), but some of them can be pricey.

What about if I have an extra PC lying around?

If you have an old PC laying around that you aren't using for anything, it could be a very good project! Keep in mind of what I've said above, you may have to double check some of the hardware, but it would be something to try if you are interested.

PS: I've looked into rolling a Sophos XG Firewall box myself (and may still one day), but just be warned that its not like a simple router interface. There are tons and tons of security/configuration options and it can be daunting. There are some great YouTube videos out there to help you out, but make sure you do some research first, as it can be frustrating to setup if you don't know whats going on. Also, I've read that its IPS can significantly slow down your internet speed depending on its configuration and your processor speed. These are just some things to keep in mind.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
From what I read it can be picky with NIC's It may not always work with all NIC chipsets, so if one wants to have a Sophos Firewall I would be sure to read some posts from their forum to see what hardware works and what hardware doesn't. From what I've read a lot of the MB NICs on newer MB''s (consumer MBs) don't always work well, most buy a separate NIC card (either a dual or quad NIC), but some of them can be pricey.

If you have an old PC laying around that you aren't using for anything, it could be a very good project! Keep in mind of what I've said above, you may have to double check some of the hardware, but it would be something to try if you are interested.

PS: I've looked into rolling a Sophos XG Firewall box myself (and may still one day), but just be warned that its not like a simple router interface. There are tons and tons of security/configuration options and it can be daunting. There are some great YouTube videos out there to help you out, but make sure you do some research first, as it can be frustrating to setup if you don't know whats going on. Also, I've read that its IPS can significantly slow down your internet speed depending on its configuration and your processor speed. These are just some things to keep in mind.

I'll pass on this one. Thanks though!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Thanks. @MeltdownEnemy - this reply helped.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Yet it is so, dual lan or two slots: (in-net 1 out-net 2), nobody said otherwise. all the people arent ignorant's.

Yes absolutely ! Qualcomm chipsets(some) are not supported too as tried in in others PC
to be specific installation was never successful in any of systems i tried..will get some or other error.
It has to mainly with NIC. Better they release supported NIC Chipsets along with model name and Vendor name

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Yes absolutely ! Qualcomm chipsets(some) are not supported too as tried in in others PC
to be specific installation was never successful in any of systems i tried..will get some or other error.
It has to mainly with NIC. Better they release supported NIC Chipsets along with model name and Vendor name

Ya their documentation regarding supported hardware is pretty poor, they really need to take the time to properly list all supported hardware/make/model and keep it up to date as new versions are released. Right now you have to do some digging on their forums to get any info regarding supported hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.