Looking for medium feedback.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
iphone-01.png

The time has come. I think I'm happy with the final config. Apple's privacy value proposition was more attractive to me so I switched from Google to Apple. I also think that Safari's support for content blockers and their disinterest in selling your data is a plus though Apple does gather telemetry that you need to manually turn off. (Not my photo but same model)

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
IMG_0191.PNG
IMG_0189.PNG
IMG_0190.PNG
IMG_0192.PNG
  • So I was able to make a a smooth transition I found almost all the apps I had on Android and then some. Many of the apps run better on iOS and far more support Face ID than face unlock on Android.
  • I love the amount of power you have over your privacy in iOS. You can turn off anything you might possibly find intrusive since Apple does not answer to advertisers. It disables facial recognition after 3 failed attempts, and you can set to automatically erase your phone. You can also set it to not allow USB access until it has been unlocked.
  • I included a screenshot of how content blockers work. The extensions are apps you download and enable. Apple has their own version of Manifest v3 already implemented and you can see what it looks like. Due to the limitation on how many rules you can have, my blocker (Wipr) is split into 3 parts. I think this is going to be the future of Chrome unfortunately but it's fine here.
  • Last pic is the iOS version of the "Permission Manager". It gives you a lot of choices and I couldn't fit all into the screenshot (Apple Analytics/Telemetry and Targeted Advertising at the bottom which I turned off).

Google Advanced Protection works well with iPhone, probably better than Android even because there is a way to securely grant access to apps like Spark Mail while Android does not give you that option at all.

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Had to add NextDNS because iOS 14.4.x has an issue where the VPN does not reconnect or stay connected when you go from WiFi -> LTE.
So for now I added NextDNS which runs when I am on LTE while the VPN works just fine on WiFi. For some reason this setup works. I tried troubleshooting with other VPN clients and it's the same issue so it's Apple breaking something. Let's hope they will fix it in 14.5.

1C59939A-9043-4FF9-8786-1150B816A033.png

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Had to add NextDNS because iOS 14.4.x has an issue where the VPN does not reconnect or stay connected when you go from WiFi -> LTE.
So for now I added NextDNS which runs when I am on LTE while the VPN works just fine on WiFi. For some reason this setup works. I tried troubleshooting with other VPN clients and it's the same issue so it's Apple breaking something. Let's hope they will fix it in 14.5.

View attachment 256147
NextDNS team also already communicate with Apple

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Removed Windscribe because they banned me for no reason and the Ukraine incident.

Update

Reactions: Nevi

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Update
I appreciate the update from you CyberTech. I read the blog post yesterday. Instead of admitting blame and talking about ways to improve their situation they decided to go on a tangent on how all the other VPNs are just as bad as they are. I should have said I quit VPNs altogether. My threat model does not fit what they are promising. The fact remains that Windscribe does not have enough staff, expertise or energy to protect their end nodes and for every public security breach there are probably 10 unknown breaches. To me the risks is not worth the security they are promising.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.