Spotify calls Apple's App Store restrictions 'An Abusive Power Grab'

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
At an App Store antitrust hearing that took place today, Spotify and Match Group (the company behind Tinder) accused Apple of abusing its ‌App Store‌ powers to to disadvantage rival services, reports Bloomberg. Spotify chief Legal Officer Horacio Gutierrez said that Apple's rules are "nothing more than an abusive power grab."

"Apple abuses its dominant position as a gatekeeper of the ‌App Store‌ to insulate itself from competition and disadvantage rival services like Spotify," Horacio Gutierrez, Spotify's chief legal officer, told lawmakers. Apple's restrictions on developers, he added, "are nothing more than an abusive power grab and a confiscation of the value created by others.

Spotify has had an ongoing feud with Apple since the debut of Apple Music. ‌Apple Music‌ is priced at $9.99, a price point that Spotify is unable to match due to the 30 percent cut that Apple takes, as it does not leave enough margin for Spotify to make money. Spotify has complained that it has no choice but to charge more on iOS devices and no alternative as Apple does not allow it to offer alternative signup or payment options in its app.

The rest

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I never liked "You can only install from the App Store", it creates a monopolistic environment.
However, if it becomes possible to download from other sites, I feel that the store's raison d'etre will be lost. I think that's why Microsoft stores aren't thriving.
For example, I use'Paint.Net', but the Microsoft Store clearly states the contribution fee. The publisher's site is modestly seeking contributions.
キャプチャ.PNG

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
No surprise as EU finds Apple Music in breach of competition law, could fine them $27 billion:
In 2019 Spotify complained to the European Union about what they perceived to be Apple’s anti-competitive policies which were hurting their business.

Today the European Commission issued preliminary findings which confirmed that Apple had indeed broken EU competition rules by unfairly favouring their service and penalising others.
In 2019 Spotify complained to the European Union about what they perceived to be Apple’s anti-competitive policies which were hurting their business.

Today the European Commission issued preliminary findings which confirmed that Apple had indeed broken EU competition rules by unfairly favouring their service and penalising others.

Importantly the Commission felt that not only was rivals losing out, but also consumers. Their statement notes:
The European Commission has informed Apple of its preliminary view that it distorted competition in the music streaming market as it abused its dominant position for the distribution of music streaming apps through its App Store. The Commission takes issue with the mandatory use of Apple’s own in-app purchase mechanism imposed on music streaming app developers to distribute their apps via Apple’s App Store. The Commission is also concerned that Apple applies certain restrictions on app developers preventing them from informing iPhone and iPad users of alternative, cheaper purchasing possibilities

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
However, if it becomes possible to download from other sites, I feel that the store's raison d'etre will be lost. I think that's why Microsoft stores aren't thriving.
For example, I use'Paint.Net', but the Microsoft Store clearly states the contribution fee. The publisher's site is modestly seeking contributions.
View attachment 257235
Hmm... no! Microsoft Store is pure trash; it's slow, it doesn't work properly sometimes and apps that are available in the store simply suck. That's the reason why almost no one uses it.

Android allows installation apps outside Play Store, and there are bunch of other app stores you can install. Yet, Google Play is still nr.1 because it's great.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The relationship between stores and applications is similar to the relationship between pedigrees and pets.

I have a strong impression that Microsoft has a lot of mongrels and strays that are getting out of hand.:unsure::coffee:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.