Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: Spotify to Raise Prices in Norway in Test of Customer Loyalty

"Spotify Technology SA plans to start raising prices in Norway next month, a small-market test that may foreshadow increases for its global listeners later.

Prices for new customers will go up by 10 percent in May, and extend to existing users in July, the company said. The increase will apply to all three of Spotify’s paid offerings in the country -- the standard subscription, a student plan and a family plan.

“In order to meet market demands and conditions, while continuing to offer a great personalized service, Spotify will be increasing the price of our premium subscription in Norway,” the company said in a statement. Prices in the U.S. range from $5 to $15 a month.

After going public earlier this month, Spotify is eager to prove to investors that it has a path to profitability. The company operates at a loss due to high royalty payments to the music industry, costs that have hobbled rivals Pandora Media Inc. and Deezer.

Raising prices represents a way to boost sales and margins without seeking concessions from the recording industry. Netflix Inc., another online service with high costs and low margins, has employed price increases to great effect over the past couple years. The company has boosted its average subscriber price by more than 12 percent in the past year."

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thanks for the warning. I am already tired of paying $15 a month for the family plan and have been considering alternatives. I'd of already dropped Netflix and their incessant price increases if T-Mobile didn't start paying that bill for me, so it's free now.

I've been evaluating services to move my playlists off Spotify, such as this one;

STAMP - Move Spotify, Google Music playlists to Apple Music and others for free!

Are there any others?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Unfortunately most of the streaming services are the same price as Spotify or don't have playlists as comprehensive as spotify.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Unfortunately most of the streaming services are the same price as Spotify or don't have playlists as comprehensive as spotify.

Indeed. Other ones always have some issue or another, less songs, wonky apps, whatever.

The thing is, I am getting tired of monthly/yearly fees on everything. Back in the late 1990's when residual income pushes were made by corporations I knew it would end up to where everything has a fee and nobody owns anything anymore. Well, look where we are now. I was so tired of constantly paying a lease fee for our cell phones with each new version coming out I paid cash for all of them and will use them as long as feasibly possible before upgrading.

Monthly fees have gotten disgusting.. By the time you add up all of the monthly fees for this or that it ends up being thousands upon thousands of dollars a year. I've pretty much had enough of being ripped off and have started trimming the monthly crap WAY down. I will admit, it's part of my plan to 'fight the machine' to be honest. Starving it with my wallet. :p

Reactions: askmark

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.