Advice Request Spybot Anti-Beacon (v3) vs O&O Shut Up 10 vs Win10Privacy - Pros & Cons

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Notes

Possible problems when using such privacy software

1) Blocking Windows Update, making updating Windows impossible and preventing you from patching important security updates, making your computer vulnerable.
2) Possible synchronizing problem with backups, Skype and many more apps that uses the ‘Host Files’ feature.
3) Breaking Windows Store, making it impossible to update apps or verify the license.
4) Disabling the Windows Defender antivirus, which helps keep Windows 10 secure, and other system components you may actually want, like OneDrive.

User needs to know that the settings in the software can be changed under the following situations

1) When there’s a major update by Microsoft or any other minor updates that can affect the settings
2) The applied privacy settings can be affected if the system is restored to a point prior to the application of the software’s privacy settings

With those in mind users are required to always lookout for the latest version of the software, re-apply the settings when necessary and be mindful when performing a system restore.

Spybot Anti-Beacon (v3)

Pros
1) Simple GUI and easy to use
2) Provides different levels of immunization e.g. None, Minimal, Recommended & Full.
3) Allow enabling/disabling of individual item(s) in each level of immunization
4) Has a pdf manual to explain what items are being blocked

Cons
1) No provision to remove apps from Windows Store
2) No provision to control Windows updates
3) Not very detail in other blocking aspects as compared to say O&O Shut Up 10, WPD, Win10Privacy etc
4) The program checks the current settings of the system on start and displays its findings in the interface. It won’t show the original settings by the user after using the software.
5) No backup/restore feature for settings by the user
6) Need to install software

A simple, minimalist and safe software useful for beginners. It’s also useful if you have no need to defer or prevent Windows from automatic updating.

O&O Shut Up 10

Pros
1) Suitable for those who want more granular privacy control
2) Has different levels like ‘Apply only Recommended settings’, ‘Recommended and somewhat recommended settings’, ‘Apply all settings’ and Undo all changes (“factory settings”)
3) Provides detailed explanation of each item to be blocked
4) Blocked more items than Spybot Anti-Beacon. This can be shown when you run O&O Shut Up 10 after running Spybot Anti-Beacon with ‘Full’ settings
5) Has provision to defer/not to automatic update Windows
6) Can show original user privacy level settings on start up and with its Undo all changes (“factory settings”)
7) Can import/export the settings
8) No need software installation as its portable
9) Warns on critical settings

Cons
1) No provision to remove apps from Windows Store
2) Cannot use Windows firewall rules to block outgoing traffic
3) It has an ‘Apply all settings’ which, although convenient, can be risky to use. User needs to know what those settings imply.

Win10Privacy

Pros
1) Many more settings than O&O Shut Up 10
2) Provision to uninstall apps from Windows store
3) Can disable outgoing traffic using Windows firewall rules. Great for users using the default Windows firewall
4) Can save/load the settings
5) No need software installation as its portable
6) Warnings (in different colors) on applying the different settings.
7) No ‘Apply all settings’ feature. This is to prevent accidental enabling of all settings and become a risk to the user. Each setting has to be individually enabled/disabled.

Cons
1) Slow to start up
2) Show original user privacy level settings on start up but settings need to be saved as a file and reloaded later, if needed.
3) Not every item comes with an explanation when you mouse over them

This software is for the expert and is very useful for those using the default Windows firewall rules to block outgoing traffic.

Despite turning OFF most of the settings in the Privacy section in Windows there are still many which need to be disabled for a better user privacy against data collection by MS. To prevent 100% data collection by MS is impossible!

Instead of digging deep into Windows (see below link) to disable some features such privacy tool software provide a convenient means of achieving this. Some of the features listed above are not needed or can be accomplished as follows:

1) If you are NOT using the default Windows firewall then the firewall feature is not needed
2) Uninstallation of apps from Windows store can be done through Windows itself

Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update

Many more of such privacy tools can be found here

Comparison of Windows 10 Privacy tools - gHacks Tech News

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Just had the July 2018 update... Time to break out the O&O Shutup again....
And download the latest version:
Version 1.6.1398 – released July 9, 2018

• NEW: Disable app access to documents (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • NEW: Disable app access to images (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • NEU: Disable app access to videos (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • NEW: Disable app access to the file system (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • FIX: Use of the factory settings sporadically stopped working
  • FIX: Incorrect display of the Windows 10 Edition when Enterprise is installed and licensed for Pro
  • User interface adapted
  • Bug Fixes: Various small bug fixes
  • Available in English, German, French, Italian and Russian

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
O&O Shut up 10 along with WPD
WPD

Never liked Win10Privacy, feels buggy and with questionable options
WPD has the following features

Privacy management
Customize Group Policy, Services, Tasks and other settings responsible for data collection and transmission.
Firewall rules
Block telemetry IP's using firewall rules from the @crazy-max repository.
Appx uninstaller
Easy remove pre-installed Windows Store garbage or any other app.

Its privacy management is less than O&O Shut Up 10. If you are using default Windows firewall then its useful otherwise this feature is of no use. Also, this firewall feature is not as exhaustive as that in Win10Privacy. I only find the uninstall apps from Windows store useful but you can achieve that from within Windows itself

I can't find any import/export or backup/restore of settings feature

Last edited:

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
WPD has the following features

Privacy management
Customize Group Policy, Services, Tasks and other settings responsible for data collection and transmission.
Firewall rules
Block telemetry IP's using firewall rules from the @crazy-max repository.
Appx uninstaller
Easy remove pre-installed Windows Store garbage or any other app.

Its privacy management is less than O&O Shut Up 10. If you are using default Windows firewall then its useful otherwise this feature is of no use. Also, this firewall feature is not as exhaustive as that in Win10Privacy. I only find the uninstall apps from Windows store useful but you can achieve that from within Windows itself

I can't find any import/export or backup/restore of settings feature

Not as exhaustive doesn't say much, neither means that is better or safer, WPD's firewall rules are provided by WindowsSpyBlocker's firewall rules, Win10Privacy rules are based on what? do we know? also i see a hosts files in the telemetry tab which is really a bad and ineffective approach to block telemetry servers.
WindowsSpyBlocker

Last edited:

Snickers102

Level 1
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
I have both the newest versions of Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.0.0.0 (3.0.2.82 in KC Sumo) and OOSU10 1.6.1398.1

There is a conflicting setting, when I go to Customize -> Full -> Done in Spybot, and then I open OOSU10, Windows Update via peer-to-peer disabled (3 of 3) is bolded (changed) to Disabled, being Enabled before applying Spybot

After running the slightly-older portable version of Spybot from here Safer-Networking Forums - Download Section , we can see that the conflicting setting is "P2P Windows Updates outside local network" (after enabling the "Windows Update via peer-to-peer disabled (3 of 3)" setting in OOSU10) , and the specific registry key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\SystemSettingsDownloadMode

After a few more runs, the old portable Spybot and the new version 3 spybot set SystemSettingsDownloadMode dword to 3 (hexadecimal value), while OOSU10 sets it to 0 , I'm not sure which one to believe, I haven't found any documentation on this

Reactions: frogboy

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
hi

i used 00 shutup 10. i added WPD. i uninstalled some software with one of them. my operating system broke.

i have since restored it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.