Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
And neither do other security softs - that is all web-based\website-based except for the malicious browser add-on\extension which are detected by signature which can be lookup via VT which is the same as other vendors which detect by signature

SpyShelter is more capable in the right hands than any internet security suite can ever hope to be.
KeyScrambler has the anti-keystroke profiling feature

ESET has script-based protection
Script-Based Attacks Protection consists of protection against javascript in web browsers and Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI)

ESET Smart Security - Online Help

And Zemana AntiMalware Ultimate has
'Real-time browser extension protection'

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
SpyShelter blocks scripts and script interpreters when set to "Ask User"

SpyShelter will outperform both KeyScrambler, ESET and all of Windows' built-in protections in the right hands
I find it has a big issue and that is it don't handle mouse click. I can't find any info on this.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just renewed 6 SpyShelter Firewall licenses

Next to AppGuard, the next best value to be had
I find its firewall is not as comprehensive in network protection features as compared to ESET IS/FortKnox Personal Firewall. So if I'll to disable its firewall (or use the Premium version) and use it will its HIPS clash with the HIPS of other programs like from ESET/COMODO/FORTKNOX/REHIPS etc?

I'm thinking of using ESET IS + REHIPS + SpyShelter Premium combo. So not sure whether their HIPS will work out well

Last edited:

I find its firewall is not as comprehensive in network protection features as compared to ESET IS/FortKnox Personal Firewall. So if I'll to disable its firewall (or use the Premium version) and use it will its HIPS clash with the HIPS of other programs like from ESET/COMODO/FORTKNOX/REHIPS etc?

I'm thinking of using ESET IS + REHIPS + SpyShelter Premium combo. So not sure whether their HIPS will work out well

I would not combo SpyShelter with another HIPS\firewall product. SpyShelter Firewall is more than sufficient all by itself.

Reactions: harlan4096

I find it has a big issue and that is it don't handle mouse click. I can't find any info on this.

What do you need to know ?

SpyShelter intercepts all script file types when protection is set to "Ask User" and will alert to the execution of all interpreters when set to "Ask User."

You have to use the product to know how it works. There is no documentation that will explain it. You have to understand malware and malware behaviors to get the most out of the product. Ask @shmu26.

Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What do you need to know ?

SpyShelter intercepts all script file types when protection is set to "Ask User" and will alert to the execution of all interpreters when set to "Ask User."

You have to use the product to know how it works. There is no documentation that will explain it. You have to understand malware and malware behaviors to get the most out of the product. Ask @shmu26.
Is a key press works the same as a mouse click because a keylogger not only can record your keystroke but your mouse location and mouse click as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
SpyShelter Firewall (as opposed to SpyShelter Premium) has a very important feature: application execution control. If you want to use SpS seriously, you need the Firewall version, and put it in ask user mode. Application execution control is powerful, once you figure out what it is doing.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
SpyShelter Firewall (as opposed to SpyShelter Premium) has a very important feature: application execution control. If you want to use SpS seriously, you need the Firewall version, and put it in ask user mode. Application execution control is powerful, once you figure out what it is doing.
So can I disable its firewall and use another without affecting the Application Execution Control feature? Or you need the latter to work with its firewall?

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So can I disable its firewall and use another without affecting the Application Execution Control feature? Or you need the latter to work with its firewall?

Thanks
Yes, you can disable firewall and use just application execution control. It is broken up into two separate categories. You can even disable everything, and just use application execution.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, you can disable firewall and use just application execution control. It is broken up into two separate categories. You can even disable everything, and just use application execution.
How about disabling its HIPS? Possible?

If I take SS FW I'll want to disable its FW & HIPS. Then combine with ESET IS and ReHIPS.

ESET IS will give me AV + FW + HIPS and other network protection features.

And ReHIPS will give me SB + HIPS

What do you think of this combo?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How about disabling its HIPS? Possible?

If I take SS FW I'll want to disable its FW & HIPS. Then combine with ESET IS and ReHIPS.

ESET IS will give me FW + HIPS and other network protection features.

And ReHIPS will give me SB + HIPS

What do you think of this combo?
The only way to know if the combo will work is to try it. It is a bit ambitious, in my opinion.
As for disabling SS HIPS, well, almost everything in SS is a form of HIPS, but you can enable or disable categories at will, from the main window. If you want more fine-tuned disabling, when you see a prompt for a certain action, look at the bottom, and you will see an option to disable monitoring for that specific action.
When installing, you have an option not to install kernel mode hook. This can solve conflicts with other software.
Can't tell you much more than that, I don't actually have SS installed right now.

Reactions: HarborFront

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@HarborFront:
Spyshelter firewall edition has a free 14 day trial, last I looked. Download it, and check it out for yourself. It is hard to describe or understand what SS is doing until you see it in front of your eyes. The term "HIPS" is too broad and vague. When you see SS in action, you will understand what it is all about.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
One last rant before I get back to work:
If you run SS at one of the lower levels of protection, it will make generic allow rules that will still be there when you switch to "ask user" mode. So either you should switch to "ask user" at the very beginning, or else delete the application execution rules when you do make the switch. If you look carefully in the application execution rules, you sometimes will see a *.
The asterisk represents a generic allow rule. That's what you want to kill.

Reactions: HarborFront

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Ok, it's that anti-keystroke profiling feature. I don't have the answer

I have raised a thread here. It's an extension for Chrome browser.....for FF as well

Add-on - Keyboard Privacy for Chrome/Firefox - Prevents behavioral profiling based on your typing

You can raise the question to the MT member, author @Paul Moore, on how to test the feature. Alternatively, KeyScrambler has the feature. You can write in to ask them
Hmmm...as I thought...your comment was rather "proof of concept" the same as addon you linked in post
Ok...I'll ask him but actually I don't find any reason to use anti-profiling when I'm protected by keystrocks encryption...If you have encrypted (randomised) signals from kyeboard how are you able to recognise its real sense and by this way real words?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hmmm...as I thought...your comment was rather "proof of concept" the same as addon you linked in post
Ok...I'll ask him but actually I don't find any reason to use anti-profiling when I'm protected by keystrocks encryption...If you have encrypted (randomised) signals from kyeboard how are you able to recognise its real sense and by this way real words?
Well, you can ask KeyScrambler then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.