Advice Request SpyShelter and incompatibilities list

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Deckard

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 20, 2019
Spyshelter is a great softs (with flaws), very light on CPU and RAM. On the other hand, it seems to have compatibilities problems with some app.
The MPC-BE video player does not work for me. For others, some problems with games, which makes me think that DirectX, also used in MPC-BE, is problematic.

Do you have applications which don't work with SpyShelter?

Reactions: shmu26 and AtlBo

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@Deckard
There was some issue with online games but this was already resolved some time ago - in module Keystroke encryption/Process filter you can find exclusion for Steam and Origin...and at present I can't remember some other cases. Looking at my observations I could risk the statement that actually everything dependes on current settings and saved/listed rules no matter they've been made automaticaly or manualy as the answer for alerts. I have rules for MPC BE 64-bit - actions 26, 48, 50 - and it's enough although they was made manualy.
My suggestion - remove all rules for player, set to protection level "ask user" and launch player...all needed rules should be done step by step.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Im not so tech-savvy, but i use Spyshelter's Auto-Allow - High Security Level for Certified Applications. Sure, it can be security risk for the signed malwares. And what i've heard, Spyshelter is a one man project. Spyshelter's keystroke encryption is one of the best, that is the main reason why im using it. That is why im using GData AV+Zonealarm Pro+Spyshelter Premium+OSA. Especially Zonealarm Firewall, its fw driver starts way before windows own firewall driver, so i think it provides more outgoing protection for malwares that can connect to outside way before windows own firewall is started. And i use Spyshelters "Run as Restricted" mode when needed.
-sepi

Deckard

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 20, 2019
@Deckard
There was some issue with online games but this was already resolved some time ago - in module Keystroke encryption/Process filter you can find exclusion for Steam and Origin...and at present I can't remember some other cases. Looking at my observations I could risk the statement that actually everything dependes on current settings and saved/listed rules no matter they've been made automaticaly or manualy as the answer for alerts. I have rules for MPC BE 64-bit - actions 26, 48, 50 - and it's enough although they was made manualy.
My suggestion - remove all rules for player, set to protection level "ask user" and launch player...all needed rules should be done step by step.

Are you on Win10 x64 ?

I tried, without success.
-added the rule manually and allow everything
-disable the 66 monitored actions
-disable fully the keystroke encryption
-lower the autoprotection
-added MPC-BE and its dll in the exclusion, the 'App not monitored by SS'
Still don't work.

I don't know what else I can do.

Reactions: shmu26

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
No...I'm on Win 8.1 64-bit with MPC-BE and can't reproduce your issue...I don't know what is happened :unsure: I think about that things also:
  • double click on mpc-be.exe in rules list and in advanced rules window chose in boxes "All generall action" and "Execution of an application" - allow...by this way all other boxes become greyed and default allowed
  • check in "Application execution control" tab in top box if MPC-BE is blocked and the same for process Explorer.exe (or other process like file manager which could run player) in - on the list in bottom box
  • check is player restricted and if yes check needed folders on the list "folder with write access"
  • in module "keystroke encryption" tab "advanced" mark on "better compatibility" in "hooks guard" box
  • run installator of player and in first alert chose inataltion mode.

Deckard

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 20, 2019
No...I'm on Win 8.1 64-bit with MPC-BE and can't reproduce your issue...I don't know what is happened :unsure: I think about that things also:
  • double click on mpc-be.exe in rules list and in advanced rules window chose in boxes "All generall action" and "Execution of an application" - allow...by this way all other boxes become greyed and default allowed
  • check in "Application execution control" tab in top box if MPC-BE is blocked and the same for process Explorer.exe (or other process like file manager which could run player) in - on the list in bottom box
  • check is player restricted and if yes check needed folders on the list "folder with write access"
  • in module "keystroke encryption" tab "advanced" mark on "better compatibility" in "hooks guard" box
  • run installator of player and in first alert chose inataltion mode.
With the install mode, action 26 and 49 are recorded. A progress but the OS launch WerFault.exe. Not very good.
I made all your points and I tested with the latest MPC version, v1.5.3.4455, but still no working.
I could remove this player. It's just a video player. I can use MPC-HC which works well but if I encounter this incompatibility problem, and as my computer is also my working tool, I can't take the risk to meet other future incompatibilities problems with others app, eventualy; I can not afford it. It's a pity. Maybe a future version of SpyShelter will work for me.
Thank you for your help and time spent !

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
I would like to know if it is useful to run SpyShelter together Emsisoft and if there is some compatibility issue ?
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.